Is Indonesia Ban going to lift?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only in reefing do we find the very people who are hurt by a ban advocating for a ban.

Coral and live rock are renewable resources. They can be harvested sustainably.

Bans make first world activists feel good while literally taking food off the table of subsistence-level collecters living in those countries.

FishyDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the ban is lifted, the quantity coming out will never be the same again and as long as everyone continues to buy frags at these prices, everyone will continue to sell them at these prices.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is such diversity currently among corals in the aquarium trade. If all I have access to is what's currently available, I'm content. I don't need wild colonies. I don't buy frags at crazy prices. At the end of the day Indonesia has to do what's best for its country and environment, I might not agree with it but do respect it. I love how this is forcing coral farming and captive breeding. Regardless of the outcome I'm going to reef the same.

I can't recall the last time I saw a wild caught clowns for sale at the LFS. We are definitely headed in the right direction.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing.... when prices are raised, it sets a precedent.

Say your favorite steak at Outback is $14.95

Say there is a shortage were Outback raises your steak to $19.95

I do not believe any Outback would revert back to $14.95 pricing just bc the shortage got remedied.

Just sayin'

In this scenario, though, outback has a monopoly on steaks. The minute you add longhorn steakhouse to the mix you have an entirely different outcome. Competition between the two businesses will drive the price to where the market dictates it should be.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think the ban should stay in place, the damage is done. Even if the ban is lifted, prices will take years to drop back to there pre-ban levels if they ever do.
Is it though? Wouldn't you think these people are backed up the butt with massive colonies that they planned to sell, but now have too many of?

Im not extremely educated on the topic, but based on the fact that they'd never be able to sell that much coral at the current prices, wouldn't you think the prices would drop over night?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this scenario, though, outback has a monopoly on steaks. The minute you add longhorn steakhouse to the mix you have an entirely different outcome. Competition between the two businesses will drive the price to where the market dictates it should be.

i am not sure if you’re into guns, but ammo was once at a pretty high price point when gun owners didn’t know what’s going to happen with the election. So people hoard them thus became price rise. When things settled a couple years ago, ammo price had gone down significantly.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not sure if you’re into guns, but ammo was once at a pretty high price point when gun owners didn’t know what’s going to happen with the election. So people hoard them thus became price rise. When things settled a couple years ago, ammo price had gone down significantly.

I am and I did purchase some bulk during that time LOL

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This says it all right here. Its PEOPLE that are paranoid that drive up prices cos they have to have it, even though it isn't going anywhere.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the standpoint of the Indo Ban (rather than coral prices...), my distinct impression from someone that I know well that imports coral and is highly connected to collectors in the Pacific is that as long as Susi Pudjiastuti is the Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries is in office, the ban will continue. Her family has a vested interest in making at least the wild reefs untouchable, and the speculation is that the ban was an effort to make it easy to shut the wild collection down by banning ALL coral exports, whether maricultured or not.

Politically, it is in her best interest to declare that she has no fundamental objection to wild harvest or mariculture, while in practice preventing it in toto.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This says it all right here. Its PEOPLE that are paranoid that drive up prices cos they have to have it, even though it isn't going anywhere.

People are the market. When someone says the market will dictate pricing its really saying that people will drive the pricing. Prices are set at the amount that people will pay. If prices are up due to paranoia then it is what it is. Prices will ebb and flow as long as their is competition between vendors as people (paranoid or not) will still buy from the cheapest source available and, in general, a company or two will always take advantage of that.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know...
The other thread on the election has him making a statement on how he was going to carry on the policies of the previous administration.
I was hopeful until I read that

This statement is the best news yet for the coral reefer, IMO. Politicians always say healing words like these right after an election to try and derail early opposition to changes they will be making.
The rest is all a toss of the political dice but my prayers and trust are that Indo will open or else the current smuggling will improve greatly! Either way, we win!

Have you not seen a large selection of Indo corals on a number of different websites in the past few (closed) months? Once the people start moving the government will need to follow or else they will be out of office in the next election.

Yo Ho is alive in Indo!

This has been a KrisReef financial moment brought to you, buy, (sic) the native aquaculture society of south china reef.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the standpoint of the Indo Ban (rather than coral prices...), my distinct impression from someone that I know well that imports coral and is highly connected to collectors in the Pacific is that as long as Susi Pudjiastuti is the Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries is in office, the ban will continue. Her family has a vested interest in making at least the wild reefs untouchable, and the speculation is that the ban was an effort to make it easy to shut the wild collection down by banning ALL coral exports, whether maricultured or not.

Politically, it is in her best interest to declare that she has no fundamental objection to wild harvest or mariculture, while in practice preventing it in toto.

She has been replaced.

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the ban prices did get out of hand but, also due to the ban it forced our hand to start aquaculturing aggressively . I personally feel that we are killing our planet Alittle everyday and we should do whatever we can to help save the ground we walk on. Since we fast forwarded in the hobby more people are understanding how to maintain and grow these bueatiful animals . With the knowledge that we have and the help of each other we can learn to sustain these ecosystems and make them thrive . Then ultimately it shouldn’t matter if there was a ban and we can leave these animals in their natural environment, while still enjoying a piece of the reef that we can create

Back