Is it ever safe to “cheap out” on anything?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, I try to budget as much as possible when it comes to my tank, but their are some things I feel like you shouldn’t cheap out on (lights, a nicer tank, good lasting heater). So I am wondering, do you think it’s ever a good idea to cheap out on anything?

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not cheap out. the word i would use is "Shop used" There are some great used things out there

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, I try to budget as much as possible when it comes to my tank, but their are some things I feel like you shouldn’t cheap out on (lights, a nicer tank, good lasting heater). So I am wondering, do you think it’s ever a good idea to cheap out on anything?
Definately ok to cheap out on Mac n cheese, ketchup and bread. But never peanut butter or spaghetti sause.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately ok to cheap out on Mac n cheese, ketchup and bread. But never peanut butter or spaghetti sause.
+1 to this

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cheap out as long as you are not sacrificing what you want. If you do, you will just end up buying twice. New is sometimes better for those one off warranties and piece of mind. There is always exceptions and sometimes have to make a choice if technology can't do both.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you can shop cheap and still have quality items. jebao pumps are very affordable, and arguably better at lasting than some of the "name brand" companies. i believe it comes down to research and trial/error.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap and budget are two different things

Cheap lights, no data to back up anything, same light sold under 5 different brands on amazon, price $50 or more under the nearest competitor. That stuff is cheap, and usually garbage. Budget lights, smatfarm / Nicrew / popbloom. All have been used and tested by many reefers with great results.

It all depends on what you want out of products. Three radion xr30 to cover a 72 x 24 tank, that's going to cost $3000. You could get 4 Quantapro 72in bars and spend under half the money ($1200). The bars will need a smart outlet to turn them on/off, or some sort of timer, but you'll have a great spectrum and more than enough light to cover the tank.

Jebao has great products that are inexpensive, but not cheap. Again, they don't have as much control as other products, but the fancy stuff isn't for everyone.

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can shop cheap and still have quality items. jebao pumps are very affordable, and arguably better at lasting than some of the "name brand" companies. i believe it comes down to research and trial/error.
^agreed

The biggest factor between the bigger name brands are app, UI and functionality. That's really what most people are paying for.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free lights cuz work was throwing them away.
It cost me the price of the bulbs.

20240325_172534.jpg 20240412_140402.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^agreed

The biggest factor between the bigger name brands are app, UI and functionality. That's really what most people are paying for.
and sometimes you're just getting a re-branded "arfter market" product. i.e: black box lights putting out just as much PAR, or more PAR than name brand lights lol.

JoeyBagadonuts

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. I want to pronounce “sause” with a snobby British accent for some reason. But seriously, you can’t cheap out on sauce or peanut butter.

I don’t like to think I’m cheap. But I do like saving money for the good stuff like coral. So I like to make my own 2-part, per Randy’s recipe. I think that saves money without being cheap. I can afford to buy premade stuff and save the time I spend making it. But I choose to make it. I have had a Jebao doser for years with no issues. I do eye new brand name doser’s from time to time but why? I got the green light from the CFO to go with bigger, name brand LED lights when I recently switched from halides. I ended up going with Noop’s and have had great results. The app can use some work but I probably don’t mess with as much for that reason. So I think cheap/inexpensive definitely has benefits on some aspects of this hobby, without sacrificing functionality.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cheaped out 5 years ago on ViparSpectra lights and Jebao wave makers, gyres and return pumps.

Still running perfectly.

Corals super happy!

Much of this brand world is simply nice looking packages and marketing.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been a middle of the road person when it comes to purchasing pretty much anything because in my mind at least, when you buy cheap, that is exactly what you get, CHEAP! When you buy the most expensive, I believe a good portion of what you pay is only for the name, so I tend go for middle of the road with some research, in order to wind up with a good product, but paid a reasonable price for it.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap and budget are two different things

I agree with this completely.

I drive a Porsche as a daily driver. It is an expensive car, but doesn't actually function as a daily driver any better than a less expensive car would. It just makes me look more like a jerk while driving around.

It has more performance than a less expensive car might, but the extra performance isn't necessary or even useful in most situations. I see a lot of similar situations in reefing equipment.

You have to find the "knee" in the price/functionality curve.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone reefs according to their budget, imo. I usually try the cheapest option first. A lot of times it ends up costing the same as the expensive one in the long run. Like Jebao wavemakers. They last two years on average, and cost about $60-80 each. An Ecotech wavemaker costs about $400-500 and lasts about 10 years. I do spend the money on quality lights now though. I know what I like, and I stick with it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back