Is it legal to self collect small tidal fish in New Hampshire?

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been toying with the idea of having an acrylic tank custom made for a cold water aquarium and was wondering if it's legal to self collect in New Hampshire? Where would I search for this kind of info?
Thanks in advance.

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been toying with the idea of having an acrylic tank custom made for a cold water aquarium and was wondering if it's legal to self collect in New Hampshire? Where would I search for this kind of info?
Thanks in advance.
I know I'm VERY late to this thread, but some advice, remember to QT those fish because fish in the wild often have lots of parasites. As another New Hampshire resident, I've been to the beaches and I've seen bristle worms in tide pools.

Oh and don't forget, it's against state law to collect seaweed at nighttime. I don't know about fish but a saltwater fishing permit should cover it.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most places are okay with you collecting a few specimens of fish and possibly inverts (probably not corals though, maybe very restricted rules on that but idk how many corals there are in NH) for your personal fish tank. If you’re just running a local tank, separate from your main system, I think you’ll be okay concerning disease and stuff. Just make sure all your fish get along, even though they’re collected from the same area they may not tolerate each other too well.

I would contact your local fish & wildlife service just to make sure that it’s okay but in Florida you are allowed to collect with just a regular recreational fishing license and they have collection limits as well as a ban on all collection of hard corals (so 5 polyps or less of something like a Zoa is cool, but anything with a skeleton is completely off limits). Call the service number and ask very specific questions, if you can ID the fish in your area and ask by species that’s even better.

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought that tanks based on local species are a cool idea. I would be interested to know what kind of fish/creatures you could catch to introduce to the tank! I know the thread is old but if you end up catching anything be sure to do a build thread or post pictures here!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back