Is it me, or are Bounce Mushrooms ridiculously priced?

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it takes 2 weeks, why don't you buy one and frag it up? You'd make a killing every two weeks! Obviously it doesn't work like that or everyone would do it.

Trust me, if I could have afforded it this past year, I would have. I simply had too many other expenses to make it possible. And by too many other expenses, I mean quite literally that I never had an extra $500-800 lying around (yes, lineage matters to me). If I had, or even if I did right now, I would not be explaining to the world how easy they are to frag, or how much money could be made from them :)

But, to each their own. Value is in the eyes of the beholder. I trust that the market will equal out eventually.

Also, take my two weeks comment with a grain of salt. By no means was I attempting to say that if you started with 4 square inches of mushroom, cut it into two 2 square inch pieces, that within two weeks you would have two 4 square inch frags, or, a total of 8 square inches of mushroom. I was simply stating that if fragged with a razor, the frags will be healed and ready for selling in a couple of weeks. Judging by the prices people are paying for pencil eraser sized boogers, I doubt the original mushroom, or the frags for that matter, would need to be too large to accomplish recouping one's money very quickly.

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this discussion always comes back to the same thing, maybe not for you, but right for somebody else. why is it a shame that people have 2,3,4 even 5K to spend on coral? not all of us are on the same financial situation. heck, if a vendor can get 3K for a piece, more power to em! If nobody pays that, then the price will drop.

i wasnt intending to be so short with my initial response, but this price of x.y.z coral talk pops up pretty often. but we live in a free marke.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with someone being able to buy the trendy corals before others. Prices will always come down. Maybe not as soon as someone wants them to, but they will eventually.

MOPAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is who cares? I mean why be upset that a coral is high priced? If you can afford it then great if not then move on. There will always be a divide between the haves and have nots. It's not cool to bash those who are wealthy or willing to spend the cash. If it wasn't for high prices a lot of dreams and things to look to forward to wouldn't exist. My dream car a 69 roadrunner hemi in plum crazy is expensive, but if it was cheap I probably wouldn't like it as much. Not trying to be a pain, but seriously if everyone could have everything everyone else had this world would be a boring place.

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all bounces are created equal I think only the good ones deserve top dollar

f5ae4af2d3c03ec61d296e3ac164ff5a.jpg

759d0857567591974e928c450ae6c0b2.jpg

ESVAreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm chasing my shroom dreams! Just got a red devil :D . Next will be a wwc bounce .... I'm in collage I work for several people and I still saved for the red devil and I have to pay taxes soon and two of my power heads went up I'm still getting a wwc bounce as soon as I can :) Just save and weigh your options! Love my shrooms I'll keep on getting what I think is cool and I'll share with my reef friends!! No worries guys :)

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you want/need to sell more!

Besides, the $10 frag guys won't buy the $100 frags anyway. $80 or $90 makes no difference than $100 to the $10 frags guys :)
So you're saying they're suckers so squeeze the extra $10-$20 from those that will? Or the $10 guys are cheap and won't spend above $10?

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people overlook the new hobbiest who can't keep anything alive and his tank crashes ever 6 months to a year and the guy who has had a tank up for 10+ years has more coral than he know what to do with so he sells it to make money and buys what ever he feels like spending a wadd of money on because he doesn't have room for a bunch of low end ever day corals he wants the latest and grates and ain't afraid to pay for it... And some people just have way to much money lol

If you really think about it your tank is art your representation of the ocean and some art is cheap some is not . what one person thinks is stupid another thinks amazing... Point and case

6957b35982bc5ad5f51cb780b38449c5.jpg
525bbadc6fdc7cc46a97722c1be0bbc8.jpg

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people overlook the new hobbiest who can't keep anything alive and his tank crashes ever 6 months to a year and the guy who has had a tank up for 10+ years has more coral than he know what to do with so he sells it to make money and buys what ever he feels like spending a wadd of money on because he doesn't have room for a bunch of low end ever day corals he wants the latest and grates and ain't afraid to pay for it... And some people just have way to much money lol

If you really think about it your tank is art your representation of the ocean and some art is cheap some is not . what one person thinks is stupid another thinks amazing... Point and case

6957b35982bc5ad5f51cb780b38449c5.jpg
525bbadc6fdc7cc46a97722c1be0bbc8.jpg
Totally agree.. Until someone takes that same piece of art......

image.png

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No comparison to those shrooms, the OG WWC bounce is worth every penny IMO.

d3d559a50506d927bd4f4b08aa63ecc0.jpg

No way, eventually this kind of pricing will become the norm, and people will lose interest in the hobby. I personally wouldn't spend more than $75 on a coral or fish at this point. I have had my expensive purchases in the hobby, everyone has their poison. Unfortunatelyo_O, lol, I have 4 expensive hobbies at this point, so I have to spread the love. Don't knock people for what they like to spend their money on. Would you spend $2000 on a RC truck?

IMG_2588.JPG

Last edited:

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, eventually this kind of pricing will become the norm, and people will lose interest in the hobby.
Don't think people will ever lose interest in hobby there will always be afordabe corals to get people started everything has its price and you can pay what you want for it like water is $3 per about 900 gallons from my kitchen sink or up to $5 for a bottle of water what the heck???

And as always quality matters..

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, eventually this kind of pricing will become the norm, and people will lose interest in the hobby.

There will always be expensive corals and cheap corals. The people that over price them don't really like me anyway.. I'm that guy that'll buy the $100 frag and grow out a huge colony, break it into 1 inch pieces and hand them out to my friends ;)

Reeferfourlife

Coral hoarder!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In any hobby, there is always items that is cheap to very expensive. Everyone that picks up a hobby is spending the extra money they have to entertain themself on their spare time. Some have more than others. So if I like something that is within my budget, I buy it.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices will always drop with time and supply. As supply goes up price drops, basic economics. Look at the rainbow chalices, 3 years ago $1500 an eye was the norm. Now a days 350-500 for the same piece, sometimes lower depending on the seller.

But this thread has taken a left turn. Went from talking bounces to coral economics lol. Which is usually how these threads end up :(

ejazzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, eventually this kind of pricing will become the norm, and people will lose interest in the hobby. I personally wouldn't spend more than $75 on a coral or fish at this point. I have had my expensive purchases in the hobby, everyone has their poison. Unfortunatelyo_O, lol, I have 4 expensive hobbies at this point, so I have to spread the love. Don't knock people for what they like to spend their money on. Would you spend $2000 on a RC truck?

IMG_2588.JPG
Omg I would cry if that got ran over by a car or a little kid on a bike.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few years there will be threads asking how to get rid of bounce mushrooms. Lol. As for frags I never pay (well never say never) more than $10 and I try to talk my into a buy 3 get one free deal. Which I almost always get.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
461da0f6de02b572bc818af150398bc10e6fe1b191f463164aefe09615a07492.jpg
In a few years there will be threads asking how to get rid of bounce mushrooms. Lol. As for frags I never pay (well never say never) more than $10 and I try to talk my into a buy 3 get one free deal. Which I almost always get.

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices will always drop with time and supply. As supply goes up price drops, basic economics. Look at the rainbow chalices, 3 years ago $1500 an eye was the norm. Now a days 350-500 for the same piece, sometimes lower depending on the seller.

But this thread has taken a left turn. Went from talking bounces to coral economics lol. Which is usually how these threads end up :(

Well, back to the bounce, has anyone seen a bounce that looked just like the WWC bounce? Seems like some of the high end stuff shows up at different vendors and they each put their own name on it. I personally have never seen one like it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back