is it possible to change a Sand bed?

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got myself some thicker grade sand didnt really think much of it now im regretting it and would like to change it to the pink fuji stuff is it possible to get the sand bed out and put a new one in 32g biocube

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your existing sand bed been in place? How much livestock and coral is in there? You see a lot of horror stories when people seriously agitate existing sand beds.
You may also remove a lot of cycled media taking out your sand. If you are set on doing it, I'd guess that VERY gradual would be the best approach. Maybe suck out 1-2" of width of sand every week or two during WC and then try to place your new sand in the bare/exposed area. It wouldn't look perfect though. I'd have to really, really hate my sand to go through it. Maybe your existing sand will grow on you.. lol

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your existing sand bed been in place? How much livestock and coral is in there? You see a lot of horror stories when people seriously agitate existing sand beds.
You may also remove a lot of cycled media taking out your sand. If you are set on doing it, I'd guess that VERY gradual would be the best approach. Maybe suck out 1-2" of width of sand every week or two during WC and then try to place your new sand in the bare/exposed area. It wouldn't look perfect though. I'd have to really, really hate my sand to go through it. Maybe your existing sand will grow on you.. lol
haha yah its very grainy pretty upset i used it and its been about a mont or so not gonna change too long of a process at this point

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved/purchased a 75g full of sand, and kept it all (not knowing better at the time) Honestly after the proverbial dust had settled, and the dinos were thwarted (I wouldn't recommend my method to others) by pouring a cup..... yes, entire cup, of Peroxide into my system (75g + 30g sump) and blacking out for 4 days, all is wonderful in my tank again. But I would ABSOLUTELY avoid ever going through that again by churning up long-established substrate.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back