Is it possible to treat DT with metroplex?

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse in DT that has stringy poo and I’ve tried to catch him but it’s near impossible with rockscape in place in a 120G tank. I’ve tried the trap, but he avoids it. I have SPS and LPS and standard CUC. Can I treat with any meds to rid wrasse of possible internal parasites?

Thanks

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Mix frozen with focus and metro(general cure would be better).

You can run carbon to clean up any meds that may make it into the water.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed in the tank, not a good idea.

Soaking food in seachem focus with metro added, as @GoldeneyeRet has said works well and will be fine. Focus binds it to the food so that it’s doesn’t leech out.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure is prazipro+metro, so it will cover a broader range of parasites. You could dose the tank with prazipro, it is reef safe and will clear many parasites. Then mix the metro in food, metro is not reef safe. Dosing in food is really a guess, never knowing if you get the dosage right. You may only need prazipro depending on which parasites you are dealing with, but use the metro in food just to make sure. Make sure to dose the prazi to water volume, not tank size, considering displacement.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure is prazipro+metro, so it will cover a broader range of parasites. You could dose the tank with prazipro, it is reef safe and will clear many parasites. Then mix the metro in food, metro is not reef safe. Dosing in food is really a guess, never knowing if you get the dosage right. You may only need prazipro depending on which parasites you are dealing with, but use the metro in food just to make sure. Make sure to dose the prazi to water volume, not tank size, considering displacement.
Is there a method to calculate how much displacement there is? I didn't weigh my rocks before putting them in. So I don't know how much rocks there are in there. For example I have a 90 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. Probably about an inch to 2 in of sand bed and who knows how much weight in rocks. Maybe 40 lb?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a method to calculate how much displacement there is? I didn't weigh my rocks before putting them in. So I don't know how much rocks there are in there. For example I have a 90 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. Probably about an inch to 2 in of sand bed and who knows how much weight in rocks. Maybe 40 lb?

Eyeball your rock and sand and estimate what percentage of the tank is taken up. As an example say about 1/3 of the tank is taken up by your rock and substrate, so that would be about 30 gallon of the 90g display, leaving you 60g of water. Add the actually water volume in the sump, is it about 1/2 or 2/3rd of the 10 gallon sump, lets say it's half. So your estimated volume would be 65g. So you would dose the prazi to 65g, see how dosing to 90g would be detrimental. Some fish would react very badly if not die with such an overdose.

I have used prazi pro alone to treat internal parasites, and it will work many times. You could get some focus to help bind the metro in food if you wanted to make sure to cover all your bases.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember writing a thread a while back that had a section on displacement and prazi pro, here's an excerpt from that thread.

Displacement, calculating and using the proper dosage. Overdosing pp is the main reason people have a problem. I didn't realize how common it was until I perused some posts today, and found many people likely od this drug. You do not dose this drug to the size of the tank, you dose it to the actual volume of water. We'll use my 90g venom tank as an example. If you look closely estimate the amount of rock and substrate to size of the tank. In the pic it may not be as clear as in real life, but it appears to be a third of the tank is filled with rocks and substrate. So for a 90g that would leave about 60g of water. The sump is 18g, most sumps run about half of the total volume with water, so that's 9g of water. So a rough estimation would be 69g of water. Pp is dosed at 1 tsp per 20g, so you could call it 70g and be safe and dose this tank at 3.5 tsp. If you were to dose this tank at 90g you would use 4.5 tsp, which would be a 28.5% overdose and likely kill everyone. Inside info: this tank holds exactly 68g of water, I calculated it when I filled the tank. If you are building a tank it may come in handy to actually have an exact calculation of water volume, not only for meds, but even for elements.

1674103554684.png

Back