Is it time to over react yet? brook/some parasite maybe

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it all started with what I think was a chromis

I was cycling with thought he had uronoma but I chalked it up to fighting with the second chromis in the tank the small one disapeared and the bigger guy just had a tiny little red patch assumed it was from a fight though. I added three more fish when the tank stabilized then all of a sudden the remaining chromis had some fluffy white patchs very small though but the larger chromis ended up dying. Current stock is clownfish pair,firefish,blenny,longnose hawk,watchmen and a banggai. Weeks later the clown has a thicker coating which I assumed to be brook it hasn't gotten any worse though over the course of 4-5 days it should have progressed by now though...?

I've seen the hawkfish flash once or twice but doesn't really seem to be bothered,clowns look normal no progression,cardinal is being himself,firefish is normal,watchmen I barely ever see he's a little guy and the blenny just scoots across the tank like normal. Everyone who should be eating is for the most part I just started vitachem and kent extreme garlic with there frozen food. So is it time for general cure or just wait it out? I saw a few white poops but assumed it to be mysis related otherwise no serious flashing or anything else on the fish other then the one clown with thicker patchs of white/translucent skin. I do run a 9watt UV thats in my first chamber of the refugium with a new bulb as well

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to grab a few my lighting usually makes the pictures all wavy and impossible to see

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds good that the skin discolouration has not gotten worse in 4-5 days. Another possibility, besides actual disease is that your blenny might be trying to kill the other fishes and they are stressed out because they cannot get away from the blenny. If the blenny is trying to eradicate the other fishes, the stress might be ruining their natural immunity. Keep a close eye out for any developments and perhaps read up on blenny-issues.

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds good that the skin discolouration has not gotten worse in 4-5 days. Another possibility, besides actual disease is that your blenny might be trying to kill the other fishes and they are stressed out because they cannot get away from the blenny. If the blenny is trying to eradicate the other fishes, the stress might be ruining their natural immunity. Keep a close eye out for any developments and perhaps read up on blenny-issues.
I'm home all day the blenny is pretty relaxed he hasn't tried bothering anyone in the few weeks I've had him

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People usually say the blenny did not seem to bully anyone. The blennies makes surprise attacks at night when the other fishes are unprepared, they torpedo the other fish with their body and smash the victim into rocks.

That is what posts online seem to be saying, I have never kept blennies but I suppose they are the type of fishes that drag corpses under rocks where they can eat them while they decompose.

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People usually say the blenny did not seem to bully anyone. The blennies makes surprise attacks at night when the other fishes are unprepared, they torpedo the other fish with their body and smash the victim into rocks.

That is what posts online seem to be saying, I have never kept blennies but I suppose they are the type of fishes that drag corpses under rocks where they can eat them while they decompose.
I've never seen a blenny hide under a rock or sleep there usually they go into the rocks if anything but not under it and I've had like half a dozen of these through the years

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a blenny hide under a rock or sleep there usually they go into the rocks if anything but not under it and I've had like half a dozen of these through the years

I said the blenny might be a type of fish that fixate the copse using rock in order to keep it around for eating and as I said, many people mention how surprised they are to discover that their seemingly totally peaceful blenny was the one killing their other fishes.

Some species of fishes are more obvious when bullying than the problem specimens of blennies, so I thought that I might just mention it to you :)

Best wishes to your fishes & good luck with everything :)

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MVIMG_20200218_163735.jpg IMG_20200218_163805.jpg

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothings really changed since the pictures probably going to ride it out unless things progress negatively

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a textbook picture of Brooklynella (aka Clownfish disease). Brook can infect any fish, not just clownfish.
It can be a quick killer. We used to recommend using a formalin product but the stuff is nasty and a known carcinogen. Do a freshwater dip for 3-5 minutes. Then immediately follow with a 90 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally or an Acriflavine product. That's a long time in a bath. Important to temperature match so the bath doesn't cool, especially this time of the year, and aerate. Then follow in a fresh, sterile QT with metro dosed every other day for 10-14 days.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back