Is it vibrant and dr tim waste away have same function?

BRS
AS

Chrisv.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've tried and use both. I started down the rabbit hole when I was combatting dinos. I followed the Dr. Tim's formula for treating dinos and it worked extremely well. In his protocol he uses waste away and another bacterial community called re-fresh. I really liked what these did with that tank. I think refresh is more like vibrant and waste away is more suitable for continuous dosing. They have a slow release waste away gel too.

I use vibrant on another system, and from time to time on that system. I could be wrong, but my impression is that the Dr. Tim's products are more focused on biofixation of nutrients, where as vibrant (and perhaps re-fresh) are microbial communities that specifically consume algae as a food source.

Maybe @DrTim could weigh in. I love all three products. I really was surprised to see how far the hobby has come in terms of microbial additives. These are NOT snake oil.

OP
Andrisca

Andrisca

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've tried and use both. I started down the rabbit hole when I was combatting dinos. I followed the Dr. Tim's formula for treating dinos and it worked extremely well. In his protocol he uses waste away and another bacterial community called re-fresh. I really liked what these did with that tank. I think refresh is more like vibrant and waste away is more suitable for continuous dosing. They have a slow release waste away gel too.

I use vibrant on another system, and from time to time on that system. I could be wrong, but my impression is that the Dr. Tim's products are more focused on biofixation of nutrients, where as vibrant (and perhaps re-fresh) are microbial communities that specifically consume algae as a food source.

Maybe @DrTim could weigh in. I love all three products. I really was surprised to see how far the hobby has come in terms of microbial additives. These are NOT snake oil.
Thanks for your reply, so maybe i start to used refresh and then waste away, or i used them on the same phase?

Corals.com

Chrisv.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks for your reply, so maybe i start to used refresh and then waste away, or i used them on the same phase?
I followed the dinoflagellate treatment protocol on the dr. tim website, whcih included a blakcout, then re-fresh, then waste away. I now routinely dose waste away and every now and again i dose with refresh.

I think it also comes down to the question of "why are you dosing these things?"

If you are trying to combat a specific issue (cyano, dinos, etc) I suggest you check out the dr. Tim website and see his protocols. They worked well to get rid of my dinos. When I got rid of the dinos, some GHA briefly took hold. At that point I did a month of vibrant and bolstered my CUC to include a couple of chestnut turbos (who ate like 5 square inches of GHA per night). The dinos never came back, the GHA never came back. I still dose waste away a few times a week. every few weeks I do a vibrant dose but I dont know if it's really required.

I will say that my tank is cleaner than it has ever been in several decades of reefing.

Spare time

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi guys, i have a newbie question here, is it vibrant and dr tim waste away have the same function? Thx for kind answer

Similar goal. Vibrant has a bacteria that may eat algae so and has a tiny bit of vinegar. I am not sure if vibrant is refugium safe because of this, or if people just starved nitrate and phosphate out with it

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!
OP
Andrisca

Andrisca

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So it is safe to say that dr tim’s products is safe for refugium?
Similar goal. Vibrant has a bacteria that may eat algae so and has a tiny bit of vinegar. I am not sure if vibrant is refugium safe because of this, or if people just starved nitrate and phosphate out with it

OP
Andrisca

Andrisca

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Haha I forgot to mention, if you do go with refresh, it looks like you're straight up dumping mud water into your aquarium. It's only a capful per ten gallons, but...it looks like muddy water. I'm not brave enough to smell it.
So should i dose them on the same time? Or i use refresh first and then waste away?

http://www.marcorocks.com/