Is it worth it?

Bennutri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to build a custom five gallon sump ?
58398B45-54FD-4101-B768-AB53F6C531C1.png

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build a lot of stuff tanks included. If it's worth it depends on why you want to build vs buy. Usually anything under 100gal is cheaper to buy a stock tank so if your looking to save money it's not worth it. My 150gal was roughly the same price to buy vs build but my reason for building custom was the dimensions and shape I wanted. So, it depends on why you want to build it vs buy a stock tank. My sump was a custom build as well because I wanted it the way I wanted it and enjoy building tanks. If you've never built a tank before it's not super hard but takes prep work and attention to detail, it's not something I'd advise everyone to try but if your handy, research how to do it, and are then confident you can be successful. Just keep in mind that if your build fails you can potentially loose the tank and water damage your home.

OP
OP
Bennutri

Bennutri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we’ll measurements are 12” by 18” accrual ten gallon tank doesn’t fit, I was gonna use a canister filter but I keep hearing no don’t . Use the holes for a sump or refugium any other opinions I have?

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A larger stand is an option?
If your tank is drilled then you should take advantage of that, but a 5 gal is too small, even a 10 gal is small for a complete sump setup.
Another option will be to use HOB equipment and cover drilled holes.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, looking at the picture posted. The cabinet the tank is sitting on isn't the proposed stand is it? The tank hangs off the edges so I absolutely would not use that.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any size sump would help as long as you can hide your equipment in there. AIO tanks basically have tiny sumps built in. You would be surprised what you can fit into those little compartments. That being said, I agree on going with a bigger stand. The tank hanging over the edges would bother me.

OP
OP
Bennutri

Bennutri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A larger stand is an option?
If your tank is drilled then you should take advantage of that, but a 5 gal is too small, even a 10 gal is small for a complete sump setup.
Another option will be to use HOB equipment and cover drilled holes.
Trying to avoid the hob filter but the ten gallon is to big doesn’t fit the stand, do you recommend a diy sump? Or a 5 gallon? Or a canister filter?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to avoid the hob filter but the ten gallon is to big doesn’t fit the stand, do you recommend a diy sump? Or a 5 gallon? Or a canister filter?
If I were you, I would plug any drilled holes, get a new stand, and then convert your tank to an All In One tank using some black acyrilic

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think that stand is very small, even smaller than your tank, which may cause some stability problems.
If getting a larger stand is an option, its same work to plumb and operate a 5gal or a 10gal sump, beeing a 10 gal a better option.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back