Is my acro colony dying?

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been growing this guy for about three years now - it’s survived some serious alk and nitrate spikes along with two tank moves. The tank has been super stable for a few months now, after I switched to a calcium reactor. I recently began to dose Tropic Marin trace elements after an ICP showed that I was lacking. This guy lost most of its green and then started to do what you see in the pics and vid. Small pieces of the tips have fallen of in some areas as well. I’ve put in new carbon and changed a good bit of water. Also stopped dosing the trace. All other SPS and LPS in the tank seem fine. Not sure what’s going on or what to do about this. Will be very bummed if I lose this guy.

8BD4A5B3-FA8B-4829-9964-398BD73F12DA.jpeg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, from what I can tell it looks like it's spewing mesenterial filaments. It's usually a sign of aggression, but can also be a stress response.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, from what I can tell it looks like it's spewing mesenterial filaments. It's usually a sign of aggression, but can also be a stress response.
Not really close enough to anything for aggression. Stress makes sense, but I can’t imagine dosing the tropic Marin trace elements would have such an adverse affect.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing? Are you dosing any coral foods? I have one that does this with ab+
Still alive, but not happy. Bits and pieces of the colony are losing skin, mostly near the tips. I am dosing coral food, but stopped dosing trace elements. All other inhabitants are happy.. so odd.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive, but not happy. Bits and pieces of the colony are losing skin, mostly near the tips. I am dosing coral food, but stopped dosing trace elements. All other inhabitants are happy.. so odd.
Isolated event is better than the whole tank, and maybe it's grown into a weird flow pattern have you tried adjusting flow? Is it a possible light issue,grown into the light and shading its self? It was extremely happy for a long time despite the few hiccups what could have slowly changed possibly might be an answer

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt do you use by chance? I ask because I just experienced the same thing a month ago with my pieces as well.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several acro systems, and my most prized one has this exact issue. Mesenterial filaments, the coral is spilling its guts if its doing this at all times. I have had it going on in 1 system for over a year now, and is not killing all acros but definitely has taken a few down. I have not been able to get to the bottom of it.
Mine seem to flare up, especially during feeding. I have a few theories what may be causing it in my case, but its been extremely frustrating. None of my other acro systems share this same issue.
Watch out to see if those parts expelling the filaments move to burnt looking tips. That is what has happened in some cases with mine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back