Is my anemone dying ?

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
I purchased a beautiful BTA 3 days ago yesterday it was looking great however today is looking very deflated and it’s mouth is open not sure if this is normal behavior or if I should be worried.
116F3737-F96D-44BB-9A3E-AD61412618B6.jpeg
EF35773B-7A84-4283-AB24-0E942FA5F993.jpeg
Today it started to look like this. Yesterday the mouth was kinda inflated but the nem looked great
B672CB68-72A3-4880-B1E7-7550A0C4BFEA.jpeg
should I be worried ? I have plenty of LPS corals in my tank and I test my parameters every other day.
PH:8.3
DKH:8.9
Cal:430
Mag:1440
NO3: 2
PO4: 0.2

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Beautiful looking nem and great photos. The color and transition looks a lot to me like a rainbow I have from WWC.

Is this the first nem in that system? How old is the tank?

Parameters look okay to me other than nitrates being quite low. Anytime my NO3 drops below 10, The nems be angry. PO4 is high-ish but wouldn't be the cause here.

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost posted this exact same thing on Saturday. My name nem that I had a week was looking great and then all sudden shriveled way up and looked like it's guts were hanging out. After a couple hours it started to inflate up and then was back to normal the next morning.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Beautiful looking nem and great photos. The color and transition looks a lot to me like a rainbow I have from WWC.

Parameters look okay to me other than nitrates being quite low. Anytime my NO3 drops below 10, The nems be angry. PO4 is high-ish but wouldn't be the cause here.
Second everything said here.

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have two rock flower nems and and they are healthy and happy. System turns a year old next month. And I have been keeping acros just fine for the last 3 months. I actually got rid of them because I wanted a BTA and wanted to make my tank a LPS dominant tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like mine after a good feeding. Seems like youre new to anemones.
Some things to know:
These anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs.
The most important thing you’ll needed to take care of before you brought your anemone home was perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank thsts newly set up.
Take some time to get the parameters just right and let the closed environment mature for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Bubble Tip Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Water hardness: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These anemones enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Lastly- Feeding.
Bubble Tip Anemones feeding is one of the easiest parts of their care. These animals get food from a lot of different sources. As mentioned earlier, they are photosynthetic and use light to create food. They will also eat food off of the fish they host. These anemones enjoy small morsels of shrimp and squid. They will also accept many frozen foods. To feed the anemone, attach the food to a stick or large tweezers. Then, touch the anemone with it. The creature will use its tentacles to grab onto the food and consume it. Feedings twice a week is sufficient.

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have two rock flower nems and and they are healthy and happy
How is the nem looking now? Was it just expelling waste?
i think so the mouth is still open but it looks better. I’ll update everyone tomorrow

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks exactly like your nem was "pooping" so to speak. When the expel waste they always look worse, sometimes they shrivel up wayyyyy more than that. Totally normal.
This is what it looks like today not sure if that’s waste or guts.
Also the mouth opened up a lot more after the picture was taken
86BEED6B-AE5A-46E3-A7DE-06A58B690824.jpeg 9C516820-BBF1-4E51-94EA-A356EC091111.jpeg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like today not sure if that’s waste or guts.
Also the mouth opened up a lot more after the picture was taken
86BEED6B-AE5A-46E3-A7DE-06A58B690824.jpeg 9C516820-BBF1-4E51-94EA-A356EC091111.jpeg
Keep an eye on it and if it continues to look bad for a couple days may need cipro treatment. It looks like it’s expelling waste which is super common for new anemones as they are acclimating to the new conditions

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest pic is starting to concern me a little. Do you have cipro and a hospital tank available?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can set up a hospital tank in no time. I don’t have cipro
Always good to have when you have nems. May not need it, but better to be ready than not ready.

Chewy has some in stock right now.

Edit: Just noticed you are in Miami. I can get chewy to my House in Stuart in a day. Possible you can as well, as I believe they have a distro center towards Coral Springs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back