20180514_074847.jpg

20180514_074841.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having ammonia in the tank at all is a bad thing. It indicates the tank is not properly cycled yet. How long has the tank been up and running? How did you cycle it? What lighting do you have?

OP
OP
R

Ricco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that clam is a goner. Typically clams need a lot of light and a mature and stable tank. I noticed your reading ammonia, how old is the tank, what's your lighting type?

The tank is roughly a month old. I add more bacteria to the tank to get rid of the small ammonia spike I'm having. I have marine orbit pro led's on the tank. The lights have been off for about one day now due to diatoms starting up.

OP
OP
R

Ricco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having ammonia in the tank at all is a bad thing. It indicates the tank is not properly cycled yet. How long has the tank been up and running? How did you cycle it? What lighting do you have?

I did a fishless cycle using DR. Tim. prior to this i had no ammonia in the tank, but i did add about 5 fish to the tank so i expected so ammonia to show. I have Orbit pro led's. The Clam was doing good the past couple days i just noticed this last night and again this morning. I'm guessing i should turn the lights back on my other Clam is doing well not sure why this one looks troubled.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a fishless cycle using DR. Tim. prior to this i had no ammonia in the tank, but i did add about 5 fish to the tank so i expected so ammonia to show. I have Orbit pro led's. The Clam was doing good the past couple days i just noticed this last night and again this morning. I'm guessing i should turn the lights back on my other Clam is doing well not sure why this one looks troubled.

Unfortunately the clam is a goner. You'll want to wait until the tank is much more mature before trying another one. Adding that many fish to the tank at once isn't usually a good idea as you can see with the ammonia spike. Try to take it slower in the future and you'll have a much easier time with your livestock.

OP
OP
R

Ricco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing i can do i still see tissue

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove the clam, it's not able to be saved. The tank is no where near ready for a clam and that light won't be suffecient to keep a clam thriving. Maybe a derasa but I'd let that tank cycle and mature many months before thinking of another clam.

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, normally you see this condition, it's gone. You can smell it too when you remove from tank. Rotting flesh smell

Yes. I'm sorry, but you should remove it. When doing so, hold the shell shut so it does not slime out. Again, I'm sorry to read of this.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take the clam out and give it to a fellow hobbyist with a mature tank and strong lighting to hold for you.
Even a nice LFS may take it in. You can buy something from them to compensate etc.

But if you still see tissue, it JUST MAY be saved. But definitely and unfortunately - not in your adolescent tank.

Back