IS MY CORAL OK ??

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this fist full of dollars chalice coral on Sunday just come home checked my tank and seen this I can see white stuff on the outside I think that it is it’s skeleton ?
I drip acclimated it to my tank
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Ph:8.3
My lights are Maxspect jump
I have pictures from today and yesterday on there

CE8DF0A6-4ABC-4131-A9D6-4F67D22461F8.jpeg 5D32154E-0683-402B-850C-4DF2F029D03A.jpeg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with a blue light pictures. White lighting would help us see things a bit better, but the first picture definitely looks like exposed skeleton on the edges.

Do you have your other parameter levels? Salinity? Phosphates? Alkalinity? Calcium? What are your lights set at? More information will definitely help diagnose any potential problems.

I would say first that having 0 nitrates is not a good thing for corals. Second, a lot of chalices are moderate/lower light corals so you could be blasting it with too much light too soon. Knowing your lighting settings will help.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely receding/dying. Can you take pictures under white light. What is your alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and phosphate? Are you using RODI water? How old is your tank?

Also, you shouldn’t drip acclimate corals. Just float them (only if the temp is more than a few degrees off), dip them, and put them in the tank. Corals take in and expel water through diffusion, they are self-acclimating. The sooner you get them into flowing water so they can respirate, the better. Still want to drip acclimate fish and inverts.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my Light settings
The tank is a year and 5 months old
My Alk and calcium test kits should be arriving in the post tomorrow
I use RODI water I can’t post a white light pic right now but I will post one asap

Attachments

• 29F13B3C-697F-4608-B0EB-BF67B3125413.jpeg
    29F13B3C-697F-4608-B0EB-BF67B3125413.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 74

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi maybe best #MODS combine this with EM thread.

TaylorP78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my Light settings
The tank is a year and 5 months old
My Alk and calcium test kits should be arriving in the post tomorrow
I use RODI water I can’t post a white light pic right now but I will post one asap
I think it could be the lighting that’s the issue, I’ve had experience with chalice corals thriving in little to no light at all, and some seem up happier when they get more light. I would try to raise your nitrates a bit because a super clean tank isn’t healthy either, corals need nitrates and phosphates to survive and grow. Also flow could be a big thing, they don’t like a lot of flow either. Definitely keep an eye on your alk, calc, and mag though.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could be the lighting that’s the issue, I’ve had experience with chalice corals thriving in little to no light at all, and some seem up happier when they get more light. I would try to raise your nitrates a bit because a super clean tank isn’t healthy either, corals need nitrates and phosphates to survive and grow. Also flow could be a big thing, they don’t like a lot of flow either. Definitely keep an eye on your alk, calc, and mag though.
These are my light settings
It is a Maxspect jump:https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/shop/aquatics/lighting/jump/maxspect-jump-mj-l165-led-light
It is on 12000K for 7 hours a day at
85% purple 85% light blue 65% dark blue 20% red 20% green and 20% yellow

(I hope I have said them settings right)

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok … now I’m panicking I think something is wrong as my favia looks like this now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 68

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont disagree with posts suggesting nitrates, lighting, calc, etc could all be issues in your tank......but none of them explain that chalice if those pictures are only one day apart. Nice encrusted chalices do not go downhill that fast just because your nitrates are low or because your lights are too weak for example. That sort of change in a single day requires a serious disease/infection, a predator, or a very large parameter issue(ie salinity way way off, alk way way high, etc)

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont disagree with posts suggesting nitrates, lighting, calc, etc could all be issues in your tank......but none of them explain that chalice if those pictures are only one day apart. Nice encrusted chalices do not go downhill that fast just because your nitrates are low or because your lights are too weak for example. That sort of change in a single day requires a serious disease/infection, a predator, or a very large parameter issue(ie salinity way way off, alk way way high, etc)
I don’t see any ich or velvet around and my fish seem fine so possibly calcium or Alk ?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich or velvet wont do that to chalice. I guess maybe alk could of it was extremely off the charts high but thats just a guess and really not what i would bet on

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich or velvet wont do that to chalice. I guess maybe alk could of it was extremely off the charts high but thats just a guess and really not what i would bet on
It seems like I mystery, I will test my Alk, calcium for myself tomorrow when my tests come and ring my lfs to see if they have any idea what could of happened

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this fist full of dollars chalice coral on Sunday just come home checked my tank and seen this I can see white stuff on the outside I think that it is it’s skeleton ?
I drip acclimated it to my tank
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Ph:8.3
My lights are Maxspect jump
I have pictures from today and yesterday on there

CE8DF0A6-4ABC-4131-A9D6-4F67D22461F8.jpeg 5D32154E-0683-402B-850C-4DF2F029D03A.jpeg
Didn't I see this post like an hour ago? why do you keep posting the same issue/topic? You're getting to much information and advice and like I said in the last post you made... you're going to try to do to many things at once and be really screwed.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't I see this post like an hour ago? why do you keep posting the same issue/topic? You're getting to much information and advice and like I said in the last post you made... you're going to try to do to many things at once and be really screwed.
Yes I thought I hadn’t posted one in the right place/forum group so I posted it in an emergency thread and I thought I had deleted the other one I thought was doing the right thing in posting in a different place

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I thought I hadn’t posted one in the right place/forum group so I posted it in an emergency thread and I thought I had deleted the other one I thought was doing the right thing in posting in a different place
I mean okay, but a guy on the last thread said what I said on this post and you said the same thing to him so....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back