Is my DIY aquarium stand for 180 gallon reef tank usable? Construction experts, please chime in.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
downloadfile.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand should not be able to move side to side or front to back. I also see you have one lag bolt on each joint. This will also cause it to move. Id like 3 screws instead. I’d like to see you use a structural screw like a GRK for that size wood. If there’s any play in your stand it could fail. I don’t want anyone to get squashed by your tank if it falls.

You may be able to use what you have with modifications. I’d put some 2x4 under the side beams attached to the legs in the corners. You want all lumber that holds a load to have a leg under it on the ends. If that makes sense. And some diagonal bracing would help. You will want to read up on stand building. Enjoy the build.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put some 2x4 under the side beams attached to the legs in the corners. You want all lumber that holds a load to have a leg under it on the ends. If that makes sense.

+1 on what skynyrd said. And and if you attached 1/2" ply to the back and sides with ample screws and wood glue I think you would be okay.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is definitely giving good advice. I️ wouldn’t trust that. I️ used this video here, it helped me out a lot. I️ too had zero experience! Videos short and very informative!

This isn't a good example as it is for an acrylic tank. Assuming the OP has a standard glass 180g.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a good example as it is for an acrylic tank. Assuming the OP has a standard glass 180g.

The way he constructs the stand tho should be pretty sturdy even for a glass tank, no? I wouldn't think he would slack on the stand just because it's for an acrylic tank... It's still designed to hold a lot of water weight.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way he constructs the stand tho should be pretty sturdy even for a glass tank, no? I wouldn't think he would slack on the stand just because it's for an acrylic tank... It's still designed to hold a lot of water weight.

i have no doubt it will hold the weight vertically, it was the "racking" i was worried about.... (not being able to hold the load side to side) and the tank surfing to a floody demise sideways

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no doubt it will hold the weight vertically, it was the "racking" i was worried about.... (not being able to hold the load side to side) and the tank surfing to a floody demise sideways
Are we still talking about the DIY video i posted? Because OP's tank is definitely not sturdy lol

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vahanyos, yes you are correct. I was just thinking more along the lines of the additional support he placed for the flat bottom arcylic tank vs a glass that only requires the rim to be support. Thinking about it more, even if the OP skinned the sides and back with ply for lateral support, I would only probably place 180 gallons on that in a unfinished basement or garage. The risk is just to great and always having the doubt in the back of your head would drive me insane.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cpl375 can you explain your bad experience with gorilla glue?

The reason I won't work with gorilla glue is first the foaming mess it makes. Second I did my own testing using titebond 2, titebond 3 and gorilla glue. I edge glued boards and then broke them to see which one held better. I didn't even have to put the gorilla glued boards into the press. I could snap them with my hands. Titebond 2 and 3. I had to use the press and then they didn't break at the glue line but actually broke the boards next to it. I didn't like titebond 3 as well as 2. It has a different color so the glue line was visible however 3 is water proof therefore exterior grade. And 2 is only water resistant

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I won't work with gorilla glue is first the foaming mess it makes. Second I did my own testing using titebond 2, titebond 3 and gorilla glue. I edge glued boards and then broke them to see which one held better. I didn't even have to put the gorilla glued boards into the press. I could snap them with my hands. Titebond 2 and 3. I had to use the press and then they didn't break at the glue line but actually broke the boards next to it. I didn't like titebond 3 as well as 2. It has a different color so the glue line was visible however 3 is water proof therefore exterior grade. And 2 is only water resistant

that foaming mess is why the bond isn't strong....

air bubbles in the joint cause weakness

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iam sorry to say I would be worried check out how the king of diy joey Mullen builds his stands. I have a 180 and followed his designs. My tank stand is level solid and it’s been holding my tank for a few years now

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 4'x2'x40"(h) completely out of 3/4" birch plywood. For the header across the unbraced door opening in front I used a triple plywood glued and screwed. The corners are reinforced with a 4" vertical strip of 3/4" plywood to carry the weight to the floor. Imo most diy stands are overbuilt but they sometimes do a poor job of weight distribution. The thing to worry about most is "racking, any side to side movement is very dangerous.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back