Is my fish list ok?

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R friends, I'm setting up my reef tank in few months and I have been researching some of the fish I really want to keep, my tank would be 5ft x 2ft x 2 ft (150G) mixed reef leaning more towards SPS, I would like to know your opinion, here's my list:

* Regal Angel
*Majestic Angel
*Purple Tang
*Powder Blue Tang
*Harlequin Tusk
*Copperband Butterfly
*Semilarvatus Butterfly (Maybe)
*Blue Throat Trigger (Maybe)
* Flame Angel
*Potter's Angel (Maybe)
* Bartlett Anthias
* Wrasses
*Pair of Clowns
* Mida Blenny and one or two gobies.

Around 20 fishes, any comment would be appreciated, thank you.

8a5d371e4cb6b656630e1f831b31d5a7.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a brand new system, transfer, upgrade? If its a new or a smaller system I would add them slowly over time and in a specific order to avoid aggression (mainly with the tangs). You're adding many fish that are on the fence when it comes to being reef safe: Angels, butterfly, trigger, and the wrasses depending on what type you go with.

My recommendation is to add the fish you truly want first and go from there. Also, you need to decide, when adding fish that stand the chance to be non reef safe, what's more important: coral or fish. If you like the fish... add the fish and see how they do with coral, inverts etc. Otherwise... add coral first, test the fish and remove if necessary. Hope this helps, good luck!

OP
OP
Fer21

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes it would be a new system.

I felt in love with this hobby when I saw a pair of clowns, so yeah fish are more important.

Thanks for your help!!

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes it would be a new system.

I felt in love with this hobby when I saw a pair of clowns, so yeah fish are more important.

Thanks for your help!!

Awesome! It's crucial you research every critter before you add it to your system, whether it be something as complex as a fish or as something as simple as a snail. Research research research!

OP
OP
Fer21

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else? any knowledge you want to share?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harlequin tusks can be somewhat sensitive fish.. I've seen some very large, well kept FOWLR tanks that have not been able to maintain them.. keep in mind they will eat any shrimp/ overturned snail or crab. They're usually not kept in reef tanks due to this but are generally fine with coral. Same goes for the trigger, actually.

Definetly add the powder blue after the purple tang and offer marine seaweed multiple times/ week

With wrasse, fairy and flasher wrasse are reef safe but are a bit daintier.. You'll definetly want to add those species before any of the more active fish (and before any other wrasse species).

Bartlett anthias are some of the more trickier anthias species as they have the tendency to all turn male which leads to serious aggression problems. If you wind up going with these guys, I would wait to add them at least a few months after your tank is established. Feeding multiple times per day usually helps to avoid this but it really depends on the individual fishs' temperaments.

Majestic (blue girdled) angelfish don't make good reef inhabitants as many will pick at stony coral polyps as well as motile invertebrates.

Regal angels are a bit less prone to picking at coral, but may still do so. It would do best if it was the only large angelfish in the tank. Make sure you offer marine seaweed (preferably a brand containing sponge) multiple times weekly.

Both butterfly fish may or may not eat sessile and/or motile inverts, it will depend on the individual fish..

I find that adding these "50/50" fish after you add the bulk of your coral works best as they view the new environment (including coral) as home.. Whereas if they're established in a tank and you add some coral/ other inverts, they may see it as food.

Ime Flame angels are fairly prone to diseases but are usually fine reef dwellers (some pick at sps). A proper quarantine is reccomended for ALL additions

Potters angelfish can be a hard species to keep successfully as they are more prone to eating coral.. Offer marine seaweed a few times/ week and add them after the tank is at least a few months old.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R friends, I'm setting up my reef tank in few months and I have been researching some of the fish I really want to keep, my tank would be 5ft x 2ft x 2 ft (150G) mixed reef leaning more towards SPS, I would like to know your opinion, here's my list:

* Regal Angel
*Majestic Angel
*Purple Tang
*Powder Blue Tang
*Harlequin Tusk
*Copperband Butterfly
*Semilarvatus Butterfly (Maybe)
*Blue Throat Trigger (Maybe)
* Flame Angel
*Potter's Angel (Maybe)
* Bartlett Anthias
* Wrasses
*Pair of Clowns
* Mida Blenny and one or two gobies.

Around 20 fishes, any comment would be appreciated, thank you.

8a5d371e4cb6b656630e1f831b31d5a7.jpg

Is this your first tank? Either way congrats on the new setup, the dimensions will be fun!

The Regal and Majestic Angels will most likely be fine with SPS, but Zoas, LPS, and Clams are fair game. There are definitely numerous species of LPS that will be fine though. This always varies on a case by case basis. The regal is typically a hard fish to keep. Personally I would recommend focusing on getting a healthy specimen that eats first and foremost. I am a strong advocate for NLS Thera A pellets. I attribute them to saving a Coral Beauty's life. A strong statement I know, but an assortment of other foods didn't help much. I've also used Rod's food and had food feeding responses, and I've heard (but haven't used yet) LRS Food is excellent. Getting NLS Thera A pellets fed multiple times a day should also help limit the picking the angels do towards corals. The flame and potters are definitely considered easier than the Regal (potters is considered difficult-ish), but my suggestions on food remain.

The tangs can work, they should be fine together overall. Keep in mind how prone to ich the powder blue is especially.

The Harlequin Tusk is a beautiful fish (especially those from Australia), but they will eat your hermits and snails. Corals are safe overall. However, they may fight with other wrasses. So be careful.

Butterflies are awesome, but be careful with corals again. It depends on your focus, I'm more fish focused so I plan and keep my corals around my fish (usually).

Trigger is good with corals, but not so much with inverts. That depends.

Anthias are awesome, beautiful fish. I'd try to feed them multiple times a day. So I'd look into an auto feeder.

As for wrasses, these are one of my favorite families of fish (Wrasses and Angels). Multiples can definitely be done, just be smart with how you mix them and what other fish you are putting them with. Read what Evolved has posted about them. The man is a Wrasse genius.

Also if you don't have one already, buy an acclimation box. Seriously do it. Like today haha [emoji854]

OP
OP
Fer21

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harlequin tusks can be somewhat sensitive fish.. I've seen some very large, well kept FOWLR tanks that have not been able to maintain them.. keep in mind they will eat any shrimp/ overturned snail or crab. They're usually not kept in reef tanks due to this but are generally fine with coral. Same goes for the trigger, actually.

Definetly add the powder blue after the purple tang and offer marine seaweed multiple times/ week

With wrasse, fairy and flasher wrasse are reef safe but are a bit daintier.. You'll definetly want to add those species before any of the more active fish (and before any other wrasse species).

Bartlett anthias are some of the more trickier anthias species as they have the tendency to all turn male which leads to serious aggression problems. If you wind up going with these guys, I would wait to add them at least a few months after your tank is established. Feeding multiple times per day usually helps to avoid this but it really depends on the individual fishs' temperaments.

Majestic (blue girdled) angelfish don't make good reef inhabitants as many will pick at stony coral polyps as well as motile invertebrates.

Regal angels are a bit less prone to picking at coral, but may still do so. It would do best if it was the only large angelfish in the tank. Make sure you offer marine seaweed (preferably a brand containing sponge) multiple times weekly.

Both butterfly fish may or may not eat sessile and/or motile inverts, it will depend on the individual fish..

I find that adding these "50/50" fish after you add the bulk of your coral works best as they view the new environment (including coral) as home.. Whereas if they're established in a tank and you add some coral/ other inverts, they may see it as food.

Ime Flame angels are fairly prone to diseases but are usually fine reef dwellers (some pick at sps). A proper quarantine is reccomended for ALL additions

Potters angelfish can be a hard species to keep successfully as they are more prone to eating coral.. Offer marine seaweed a few times/ week and add them after the tank is at least a few months old.

Thank you for your help, I will keep your recommendations in mind!!

OP
OP
Fer21

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your first tank? Either way congrats on the new setup, the dimensions will be fun!

The Regal and Majestic Angels will most likely be fine with SPS, but Zoas, LPS, and Clams are fair game. There are definitely numerous species of LPS that will be fine though. This always varies on a case by case basis. The regal is typically a hard fish to keep. Personally I would recommend focusing on getting a healthy specimen that eats first and foremost. I am a strong advocate for NLS Thera A pellets. I attribute them to saving a Coral Beauty's life. A strong statement I know, but an assortment of other foods didn't help much. I've also used Rod's food and had food feeding responses, and I've heard (but haven't used yet) LRS Food is excellent. Getting NLS Thera A pellets fed multiple times a day should also help limit the picking the angels do towards corals. The flame and potters are definitely considered easier than the Regal (potters is considered difficult-ish), but my suggestions on food remain.

The tangs can work, they should be fine together overall. Keep in mind how prone to ich the powder blue is especially.

The Harlequin Tusk is a beautiful fish (especially those from Australia), but they will eat your hermits and snails. Corals are safe overall. However, they may fight with other wrasses. So be careful.

Butterflies are awesome, but be careful with corals again. It depends on your focus, I'm more fish focused so I plan and keep my corals around my fish (usually).

Trigger is good with corals, but not so much with inverts. That depends.

Anthias are awesome, beautiful fish. I'd try to feed them multiple times a day. So I'd look into an auto feeder.

As for wrasses, these are one of my favorite families of fish (Wrasses and Angels). Multiples can definitely be done, just be smart with how you mix them and what other fish you are putting them with. Read what Evolved has posted about them. The man is a Wrasse genius.

Also if you don't have one already, buy an acclimation box. Seriously do it. Like today haha [emoji854]

Yeah my tank would be more fish focus, and I won't mind not having any clean up crew.

Can you give me any suggestions on some good colorful wrasses? ( The only one I have i mind its a Tamarin wrasse which I have heard its really hard to keep)

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my tank would be more fish focus, and I won't mind not having any clean up crew.

Can you give me any suggestions on some good colorful wrasses? ( The only one I have i mind its a Tamarin wrasse which I have heard its really hard to keep)

I would wait on a Tamarin Wrasse. Get a few of the other fish, and Wrasses under your belt before you attempt a Tamarin.

I definitely would recommend practically any Flasher Wrasse as a good choice. Filamented, McCosker's, Blue, Yellowfin, Carpenter, etc are all great choices and can be mixed with each other. You're actually better off having multiple males of different species then trying to have a harem with both females and a male.

There are tons of Fairy Wrasses that are beautiful as well, and can be mixed together. Read @evolved 's post on mixing Wrasses. Look up different Fairy Wrasses you like, and ask him how they mix together.

Some of the Halichoeres Wrasses are good choices as well. They will also eat some pests such as flatworms. Look into the melanurus, yellow, or radiant Wrasse.

Also like I mentioned in my previous post, using an acclimation box for mixing Wrasses is super important.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait on a Tamarin Wrasse. Get a few of the other fish, and Wrasses under your belt before you attempt a Tamarin.

I definitely would recommend practically any Flasher Wrasse as a good choice. Filamented, McCosker's, Blue, Yellowfin, Carpenter, etc are all great choices and can be mixed with each other. You're actually better off having multiple males of different species then trying to have a harem with both females and a male.

There are tons of Fairy Wrasses that are beautiful as well, and can be mixed together. Read @evolved 's post on mixing Wrasses. Look up different Fairy Wrasses you like, and ask him how they mix together.

Some of the Halichoeres Wrasses are good choices as well. They will also eat some pests such as flatworms. Look into the melanurus, yellow, or radiant Wrasse.

Also like I mentioned in my previous post, using an acclimation box for mixing Wrasses is super important.

Also, a Blue Tuxedo Urchin is a great clean up crew member for algae that should be safe from the fish you want to add.

OP
OP
Fer21

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah a Tuxedo Urchin would be cool also I been going through Live Aquaria's Reef Safe Wrasse selection and the ones that cough my eye are McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse, I was think if adding a Six Line Wrasse would be a good idea for pest control but I'm not too convince.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a Tuxedo Urchin would be cool also I been going through Live Aquaria's Reef Safe Wrasse selection and the ones that cough my eye are McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Mystery Wrasse, Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse, I was think if adding a Six Line Wrasse would be a good idea for pest control but I'm not too convince.

I would advise against the six line Wrasse. They will fight with flasher and fairy Wrasses. Also just google image search flasher or Fairy Wrasses. Live Aquaria is a great website and company, but their stock photos of Wrasses look terrible.

Take a look at these instead.

fd66302be17285f9b25a9502d4220e58.png

1135d9c151a7fd122a33afdecdb6f89d.jpg
93b657b56f692945b8350a85ecff909c.png
8466167088d2383d78ab8a6065b0ec9c.jpg
0c64b5e4f05816faef68b41672228d4d.jpg

These obviously aren't my images, I just pulled them off of google.

OP
OP
Fer21

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against the six line Wrasse. They will fight with flasher and fairy Wrasses. Also just google image search flasher or Fairy Wrasses. Live Aquaria is a great website and company, but their stock photos of Wrasses look terrible.

Take a look at these instead.

fd66302be17285f9b25a9502d4220e58.png

1135d9c151a7fd122a33afdecdb6f89d.jpg
93b657b56f692945b8350a85ecff909c.png
8466167088d2383d78ab8a6065b0ec9c.jpg
0c64b5e4f05816faef68b41672228d4d.jpg

These obviously aren't my images, I just pulled them off of google.

Very cool fish, would surely add one of these to my tank, thank you!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back