Is my fish sick and should i remove it

PhamousPhish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
194
Reaction score
54
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping it short.
I have this gramma who has been flashing and scratching against rocks and glass. It seems to have what looks like glitter all over it but i dont really see any big "white dots"
Also, there is a midas blenny who is scratching its self and slapping the sand what looks like flashing too. Since I've started to give seacams focus/kanaplex the blenny seems to be flashing less but the royal idk if i should remove or not. Recently gramma has been staying in this corner and past few nights also in the corner on the sand bed. Should I remove it or what? I dont have a qt tank. Also I did have a helfrichi firefish who became all white, pale, weak and died about 2 weeks ago in tank.

Stockist- midas blenny, two clowns, melanarus wrasse, yellow watchman and a helfrichi firefish who died recently.

20260310_222651.jpg 20260310_222700.jpg 20260310_222717.jpg 20260310_222736.jpg 20260310_224858.jpg 20260310_224905.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20260302_204407.mp4
    33.7 MB
  • 20260219_211556.mp4
    26.6 MB
If i dont care about the gramma. Can I just remove him so he doesnt worsen my tank and the other fish? Ill donate him to my lfs and tell them whats up...
 
Sorry but in order to save the fish you’ll have to set up a Quarantine tank and run Copper for 30 days. Copper powder is most often used for this. The tank you have currently needs to have no fishes in it for 76 days so the ich can run its cycle and die off. The copper level in the quarantine tank needs to be at 2.25ppm. Don’t let it fall below 2ppm. A Hannah copper tester can be used for this. Lastly check for ammonia in the Quarantine tank and perform a water change if needed. But when you do make sure the new water is at the copper level as well
 
Sorry but in order to save the fish you’ll have to set up a Quarantine tank and run Copper for 30 days. Copper powder is most often used for this. The tank you have currently needs to have no fishes in it for 76 days so the ich can run its cycle and die off. The copper level needs to be at 2.25ppm. A Hannah copper tester can be used for this
What if I take the gramma out? Will this help? Idc about the gramma...im 5 months into this hobby and im really irritated about all this. Id really like my other fish to be ok but again idc about the gramma
 
Once ich is in the system it is there for good. Taking out the gramma will not help the situation. The ich will infect all the fish if it hasn’t already
 
Last edited:
Once ich is in the system it is there for good. Taking out the gramma will not help the situation. The ich will infect all the fish if it hasn’t already
Is there a fix or am I doomed and not meant fkr this hobby? I just started this absolutely sucks and I've put so much effort in to walk away from it now but im so frustrated
 
Not too familiar with Ich X but I have yet to find a full proof treatment that is reef and invert safe that is effective at eliminating ich/velvet. Best way is to buy a small cheap qt tank with a hang on filter and treat with copper. Don’t be discouraged. It happens but there is a solution
 
Not too familiar with Ich X but I have yet to find a full proof treatment that is reef and invert safe that is effective at eliminating ich/velvet. Best way is to buy a small cheap qt tank with a hang on filter and treat with copper
And my coral?
 
Unfortunately you kind of have to dose copper. It really sucks, but ich is in the system forever the moment a his with it enters the water- unless you stop it. If I were you, I would:

Buy a small QT tank (nothing fancy) and put nothing it in except maybe some PVC pipes for fish to hide in. Fill it with Clean saltwater, and put the fish in it. (No inverts, copper will kill them) and then dose coppersafe in the tank. Ive not encountered ich yet, so I can’t tell you the exact dosage. It should say it on the bottle though. Then leave your main tank with NO FISH for 72+ days to starve the ich. It really sucks you have to go through this, ich is terrible.

It may seem scary but it is the best way I know to kill ich.
 
Not too familiar with Ich X but I have yet to find a full proof treatment that is reef and invert safe that is effective at eliminating ich/velvet. Best way is to buy a small cheap qt tank with a hang on filter and treat with copper. Don’t be discouraged. It happens but there is a solution
Basically what he said
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new