Is my Hammer too floppy?

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers :) I added a hammer to my tank last week (my first eupyllia) and I can’t tell if it’s really happy or too floppy… I just wanted to verify that it’s doin okay… what do you all say?

098105EB-CC93-46E2-AEC2-6647CEDCE6A7.jpeg

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me. It likes medium random flow (i.e. not just blowing one direction) .
Yeah I tried my best to put it somewhere with a medium more hectic flow… I was a little worried the flow was a little on the low side… but I’ll just keep an eye on it! Thank you for the reassurance :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tried my best to put it somewhere with a medium more hectic flow… I was a little worried the flow was a little on the low side… but I’ll just keep an eye on it! Thank you for the reassurance :)
The thing to watch for is flesh/tissue recession. When it's more closed up, look at the stem/skeleton and note how wide the flesh band is. If this starts to recede, then the coral is declining. Euphyllia (torches, cristada) and fimbriaphyllia (hammers, frogspawn, octospawn) can appear healthy, with good tentacle extension, until the day they die... So keeping an eye on recession is key. (If there is no tissue band, then at least the crown of the coral should have the tissue intact - seeing bare septae or damage on the top of the retracted polyp is a bad sign).

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are worried that there is too little flow, you can always post a video

OP
OP
K

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing to watch for is flesh/tissue recession. When it's more closed up, look at the stem/skeleton and note how wide the flesh band is. If this starts to recede, then the coral is declining. Euphyllia (torches, cristada) and fimbriaphyllia (hammers, frogspawn, octospawn) can appear healthy, with good tentacle extension, until the day they die... So keeping an eye on recession is key. (If there is no tissue band, then at least the crown of the coral should have the tissue intact - seeing bare septae or damage on the top of the retracted polyp is a bad sign).
I will try to pay attention and keep track of that! Thank you so much for the advice

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers :) I added a hammer to my tank last week (my first eupyllia) and I can’t tell if it’s really happy or too floppy… I just wanted to verify that it’s doin okay… what do you all say?

098105EB-CC93-46E2-AEC2-6647CEDCE6A7.jpeg
It seems happy to me, keep it thriving and this time next year you’ll likely have 10+ heads on that bad boy :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back