Is my Hammer too floppy?

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2023
Messages
40
Reaction score
21
Location
southwest
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers (: I added a hammer to my tank last week (my first eupyllia) and I can’t tell if it’s really happy or too floppy… I just wanted to verify that it’s doin okay… what do you all say?

098105EB-CC93-46E2-AEC2-6647CEDCE6A7.jpeg
 
It looks fine to me. It likes medium random flow (i.e. not just blowing one direction) .
Yeah I tried my best to put it somewhere with a medium more hectic flow… I was a little worried the flow was a little on the low side… but I’ll just keep an eye on it! Thank you for the reassurance (:
 
Yeah I tried my best to put it somewhere with a medium more hectic flow… I was a little worried the flow was a little on the low side… but I’ll just keep an eye on it! Thank you for the reassurance :)
The thing to watch for is flesh/tissue recession. When it's more closed up, look at the stem/skeleton and note how wide the flesh band is. If this starts to recede, then the coral is declining. Euphyllia (torches, cristada) and fimbriaphyllia (hammers, frogspawn, octospawn) can appear healthy, with good tentacle extension, until the day they die... So keeping an eye on recession is key. (If there is no tissue band, then at least the crown of the coral should have the tissue intact - seeing bare septae or damage on the top of the retracted polyp is a bad sign).
 
Yeah I tried my best to put it somewhere with a medium more hectic flow… I was a little worried the flow was a little on the low side… but I’ll just keep an eye on it! Thank you for the reassurance :)
if you are worried that there is too little flow, you can always post a video
 
The thing to watch for is flesh/tissue recession. When it's more closed up, look at the stem/skeleton and note how wide the flesh band is. If this starts to recede, then the coral is declining. Euphyllia (torches, cristada) and fimbriaphyllia (hammers, frogspawn, octospawn) can appear healthy, with good tentacle extension, until the day they die... So keeping an eye on recession is key. (If there is no tissue band, then at least the crown of the coral should have the tissue intact - seeing bare septae or damage on the top of the retracted polyp is a bad sign).
I will try to pay attention and keep track of that! Thank you so much for the advice
 
Hey reefers :) I added a hammer to my tank last week (my first eupyllia) and I can’t tell if it’s really happy or too floppy… I just wanted to verify that it’s doin okay… what do you all say?

098105EB-CC93-46E2-AEC2-6647CEDCE6A7.jpeg
Looks good to me!
 
Hey reefers :) I added a hammer to my tank last week (my first eupyllia) and I can’t tell if it’s really happy or too floppy… I just wanted to verify that it’s doin okay… what do you all say?

098105EB-CC93-46E2-AEC2-6647CEDCE6A7.jpeg
It seems happy to me, keep it thriving and this time next year you’ll likely have 10+ heads on that bad boy :)
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new