Is my leather dying?

Micky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this toadstool neon green leather coral about 3 weeks ago. It looked like it was getting well adjusted to my tank but then it started to close. I heard that these corals sometime shed when added to new tanks so I didn’t worry. 2 weeks go bye and it’s still closed up. I thought it needed some help so I begin gently blowing on it with a turkey baster every now and then. But this time when I went to blow on it it’s skin started to peel off!?!?
7A89E29F-3D8A-42CE-9621-006E3414B889.jpeg
I have no idea what is happing! Do I take it out? Do I leave it in? Also my tank has been setup up for about a month and a half.

OP
OP
M

Micky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like shedding to me. Looks like the coral's tissue is damaged, but why? What light do you use? How is the flow? Leathers are pretty hardy so something must be wrong for this to happen.
I use a maxspect jump MJ-L165 led light 65 watts and a reef wave 25. I keep them at a medium setting not to strong and not to weak. The only other coral in the tank with it is a gold hammer coral frag that I bought for 80$. It looks great and alive. Woke up right now and the edges of the toadstool cap melted away I pulled it out of the water and gave it a sniff. It didn’t smell bad but I am not taking any chances. I know these coals will take the tank with them when they die.

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is very unhappy and tissue is dying off. First off, can you get me a picture of the whole tank? Second, how new is the tank?
Leathers are hardy, but they need a good amount of nutrients in the tank and newer systems do not usually have enough.
They can be shocked from light, but the big thing they hate is direct flow or too much linear flow. Especially toadstools.
It can come back. This is my recommendation.
1. Put it in a sheltered area of the tank. Somewhere it is not getting any direct flow.
2. Some low light.
3. Make sure you have nitrates in the system of at least 20.
4. Feed the system some Calanus, phyto, gorg food type plankton twice per week (broadcast style).

This should get it back on its feet. Give it time. Run some carbon to help with the toxins. Do not mess with it. If it disintegrates completely, I am sorry, it was past saving. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back