Is my Mandarin doing okay?

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Not too long ago, I noticed that my Mandarin's left pelvic fin is a bit jagged compared to its right, and it got me thinking, is my Mandarin doing ok? From the looks of the fish, I'd say he's doing fine; it's still pretty wide and is very active. To note, I haven't resupplied any copepods into the tank for a bit due to me using Benepets to feed my corals, and I still have been seeing some amphipods here and there. Should I look into adding more pods into the tank? Also, I haven't fed the pods (adding phytoplankton); should I start doing so?

**I will add pictures in a bit**

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Not too long ago, I noticed that my Mandarin's left pelvic fin is a bit jagged compared to its right, and it got me thinking, is my Mandarin doing ok? From the looks of the fish, I'd say he's doing fine; it's still pretty wide and is very active. To note, I haven't resupplied any copepods into the tank for a bit due to me using Benepets to feed my corals, and I still have been seeing some amphipods here and there. Should I look into adding more pods into the tank? Also, I haven't fed the pods (adding phytoplankton); should I start doing so?

**I will add pictures in a bit**
If it’s eating fine and acts the same, it should be ok. Just keep an eye on it. Fin issues, if minor, will heal in time. As for resupplying your pod population, do it. If you don’t see them everywhere on the glass when the lights come up, you don’t have enough. Also… Adding phyto isn’t just a benefit to the pods. It also benefits your filter feeding corals/inverts/nems, so dosing that (especially live) never hurts. @AlgaeBarn has what you need in terms of keeping your mandarin and pod population happy and well stocked… they’re cream of the crop in my book

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back