Is my midas blenny guarding eggs?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this picture. It's of one of two midas blenny in my tank. Although I haven't seen them pair up, this is the 2nd time this fish appears to be guarding eggs attached to base of huge pearl bubble. The first time I noticed the eggs, the area was clean after about 7 days. I have had several pairs of occ cIowns spawn on this coral before in the past. But never made an effort to save the larvae and try to propagate. Curious to know if there has been any success breeding them?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for photo!

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1370634555.703640.jpg
Check it out here is the picture of the midas blenny with what appears to be eggs attached to the base rock of the coral( just to the left of the fish in the back ground. Second time this occurs in about a months time. If anyone has any valuable information or similar experience,please let me know.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs hatched last night! I managed to net out a bunch of larvae from the main display and put them in a mesh pen I made and placed in my refugium. Gonna read up on rearing midas blenny. I have never raised any fish. I'm working till tomorrow morning, hope they are still alive when I get home. I've heard about rotifers but have no idea how to get some. Any help will be appreciated. I am not really prepared this time, but if the spawning continues, I want to be able to raise some baby midas blennys!

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you are prepared I would just leave them in the tank as snacks for the other fish. At least get something good out of their death.

You will need live food for the hatchlings. And to make it feasible you will need to have your own cultures.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd be surprised if they are still alive when I get home tomorrow morning. But I'm gonna get prepared for next time! How do I culture rotifers? Do I need a separate tank set up, like a 10 gal, or is it possible to place them in a mesh pen within my refugium? Is there a web site that will show me how ?

ice28720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To try to remove the balls, go to another fine fish tank feeding, to open the oxygen pump to it, try to keep the fine while moving the tank and the main tank of the same temperature.

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think midas blennies have been raised before. You should start a thread over on the Marine Breeding Initiative site. They will have the best info for you. At the very least, this is good documentation of spawning behavior!

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third batch of eggs since Wednesday night! Need to watch tues-thursday Night for hatchlings.I'm a bit more prepared this time with a mesh pen in my refugium, don't know if it will work long term. I still need lots more info. Thank you all for you guidance. I will visit the website mentioned.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third batch of eggs since Wednesday night! Need to watch tues-thursday Night for hatchlings.I'm a bit more prepared this time with a mesh pen in my refugium, don't know if it will work long term. I still need lots more info. Thank you all for you guidance. I will visit the website mentioned.

Use a plastic container to get the fry. The mesh can kill or severely damage them. When my clowns hatch I turn off the pumps and lights, get a bright small flashlight and the fry all swim to the light and then I scoop them.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, back again. I started a journal on Marine breeders initiative site. Thanks for the guidance. I lost the 3rd spawn, Monday night. hatched 1 night before I predicted. Gonna wait for next spawn, and see if I can learn how to propagate the larvae. From what I've learned, it would be a rare to never accomplishment. I'll keep you all posted.

Rich

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might not be successful at it, but any progress that you make and can document will help move efforts forward to eventually breed escenius species! The fact that you've actually gotten the eggs to hatch is more progress than others have made and however far you get will make a difference!

Hey, back again. I started a journal on Marine breeders initiative site. Thanks for the guidance. I lost the 3rd spawn, Monday night. hatched 1 night before I predicted. Gonna wait for next spawn, and see if I can learn how to propagate the larvae. From what I've learned, it would be a rare to never accomplishment. I'll keep you all posted.

Rich

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372433914.936344.jpg
This is male midas blenny in spawn site. Got another hatching event coming up this weekend, got to watch every night. Gonna try to rear the babies. I have been discussing these rare events with guys over at the marine breeders initiative site. So far my success at producing larvae, is further progress than anyone has made. Now, rearing those babies? From what I've learned, it's not an easy thing. But I'll give it my best anyways. That would be another great success story!
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372434672.753282.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372434699.736891.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372434747.470319.jpg

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372621590.283640.jpg

I have Ecsenius Midas(midas blenny) larvae! They hatched last night around midnight. I have them on a gravity fed nursery I came up with. Now lets see if I can raise them? Got a great video on photobucket at this link. IMG_4773_zps350bf84e.mp4
Check it out!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back