Is my mushroom a gonner?

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this shroom for almost 2 months. It was very dark (almost black) with neon orange tentacles. I think it's a Ricordea but not sure if it's Yuma or Florida. It was doing really well and starting to grow over the plug but in the last few weeks it seems to have bleached and reduced in size. I've tried moving it to indirect light but hasn't seemed to help. Is there anything I can do to help this mushroom?
Water params have been stable and I had it mid tank height with low/moderate flow and moderate lighting.

Color when I got it
shroom2.jpg

Recent color, looks bleached
shroom3.jpg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty bleached. I'd recommend running a water quality check again and have someone else double check and confirm with you.

I'd also drop it in to very low light for now. It may still recover.

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty bleached. I'd recommend running a water quality check again and have someone else double check and confirm with you.

I'd also drop it in to very low light for now. It may still recover.

Thanks for the reply!
I do have it shaded on the sand under a rock for now. I was under the impression these liked medium to high light? I have a horticulture HO T5 4 bulb fixture mounted 10" above water with 2 blue+ and 2 true actinic. Also use a cheap LED for the blues and dusk/dawn ramp. It was placed midway in a 90g tank. I don't have access to a par meter but I assumed that placement would be moderate at best?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!
I do have it shaded on the sand under a rock for now. I was under the impression these liked medium to high light? I have a horticulture HO T5 4 bulb fixture mounted 10" above water with 2 blue+ and 2 true actinic. Also use a cheap LED for the blues and dusk/dawn ramp. It was placed midway in a 90g tank. I don't have access to a par meter but I assumed that placement would be moderate at best?

I've seen certain yumas under almost 200 par, which is pretty high IMO, but they looked pretty happy. I keep mine in 65 par though which is really low.

How deep is your tank?

OP
OP
AzReefn

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen certain yumas under almost 200 par, which is pretty high IMO, but they looked pretty happy. I keep mine in 65 par though which is really low.

How deep is your tank?

My tank is 48x18x24, the actual water height is about 21" though. I'm going to take some water to my LFS to double check my parameters after work today and I'll also ask if they have a par meter i could use. I hope it comes back, it was a really pretty coral :(

I luv coralz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope it’s nit gone you just bleached it’s probably ok just put it in a shaded place and watch it recover:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back