Is my retracted Goniopora beyond the point of no return?

nelliereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've had this goniopora for around 2 month now. It started off looking healthy, but about a month ago it retracted and hasn't come out since. It has fully retracted into its skeleteon. I left it for a while, but decided yesterday after doing a tank-wide PAR test, that I should move it into the shade (160 PAR moved to shaded ~70 PAR area).

I noticed last night, when the lights went out and the moon light came on, that a few of the polyps came out a couple of millimeters, giving me hope that it may recover.

My tank parameters have stabilised in the last couple of months and the rest of my tank is thriving more than ever (it's a 1 year old 105gal tank).
Alk: 8.1
Calc: 400
Mag: 1300
Nit: 10
Phos: 0.06

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

IMG_3627.jpg
IMG_3625.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you give it low light and low flow it will probably recover given a few months.

I had one in a similar condition, put at the back of the tank hidden away behind the rocks and it very slowly recovered and is now a good as new.

Don't try to feed it anything, just measurable nitrates (5-10 ppm) and Phosphate 0.05-0.10ppm

OP
OP
N

nelliereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you give it low light and low flow it will probably recover given a few months.

I had one in a similar condition, put at the back of the tank hidden away behind the rocks and it very slowly recovered and is now a good as new.

Don't try to feed it anything, just measurable nitrates (5-10 ppm) and Phosphate 0.05-0.10ppm
Thanks, that gives me hope. I will leave it where it is for the time being.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me it looks dead, its completely covered in algae.

I see you have it half in the shade, surrounded by rocks. This coral likes medium light and medium flow, Its also a bit of a picky coral, it doesn't like shifting parameters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back