Micro Goniopora no PE

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a couple of micro gonis from WWCs last sale. They looked good for several days and now I don’t see any polyp extension. I also notice a little bit of lightening at the skeleton.

They’ve been in sub-100 PAR so I can’t imagine they’re in too much light. However, I did move them to slightly less light.

They’re on the sand bed mounted to small pieces of rubble. I have decent flow at the sand bed so could too much flow cause them to retract?

Here are my parameters as of 3 days ago
IMG_4529.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo of the coral would be helpful, .09 po4 Is a bit high, I like to aim around .06, also how old is the tank?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo of the coral would be helpful, .09 po4 Is a bit high, I like to aim around .06, also how old is the tank?
I’ll see if I can get a pic this afternoon.

I agree on the PO4 and increased my carbon dosing a little last night. However, I don’t think 0.9 is too high for a goni, based on all the research I’ve done on them. These aren’t my first, or my only ones. I have another that is doing well so something tells me that the issue has to do with lighting and /or flow.

The tank is about 10 months old

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree on the PO4 and increased my carbon dosing a little last night. However, I don’t think 0.9 is too high for a goni, based on all the research I’ve done on them. These aren’t my first, or my only ones. I have another that is doing well so something tells me that the issue has to do with lighting and /or flow.

Ok, so it's not a problem with the parameters (probably). I'll tell you what I think when I can get a photo!

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis aren't the easiest corals. They can be sensitive to a lot of things. I've got a Goni rock on the sand bed with 6 different versions/colors that I've added over the last few years. They take turns being big, full and flowing and then there's almost always one pouting about some unknown factor so it's pulled in or only partially extended. Eventually, they all come back to normal. Why? Couldn't tell you. I have quite a lot of acros that thrive so my parameters stay pretty consistent.

I had a new Goni I tried to add recently that didn't make it a week. Nothing changed and the other 6 are fine but the new one just wasn't meant to be I guess. My point is, if your parameters are good/consistent and your flow and lighting are also good then it might just be the Gonis weren't the healthiest or got too stressed from shipping.

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be mag, I have a few acting silly because my mag dropped to the 1300’s I like to keep it up around 1500. Is it a wild caught piece or aquacultured?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be mag, I have a few acting silly because my mag dropped to the 1300’s I like to keep it up around 1500. Is it a wild caught piece or aquacultured?
I’m not sure. WWC didn’t address whether it was aquacultured or wild caught.

If given the choice I choose aquacultured

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree my phosphate is at .1.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First photo just looks like it’s getting use to its environment, how are they going now ?
They're doing the same. When I initially placed them in the aquarium they had great PE, but after a couple of days they started to look like the above pics. I have since moved them to another area of the tank, next to the Goni in the third pic.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to agree with more light. I’ve got a bunch of Gonis and the lowest PAR for any of them is about 125-140. Also a moderate flow is good(I have my wavemakers set for pulse which the seem to like) and I keep my magnesium at around 1500.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to agree with more light. I’ve got a bunch of Gonis and the lowest PAR for any of them is about 125-140. Also a moderate flow is good(I have my wavemakers set for pulse which the seem to like) and I keep my magnesium at around 1500.

Thanks for the info. That’s pretty much where they’re at now, except for the Mg

It I will double check the PAR. I have two MP40s on the back wall on a 47” Peninsula and the gonis are on the opposite end. I have the MP40s set on gyre and they’re getting plenty of flow

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Gonis are temperamental. It seems like at least one of mine is pouting at any time. One other thing, those Micro Gonis are very likely Bernardpora. Don’t keep the close to any regular Gonis if they are. Very aggressive with each other.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, they’re close but not close enough to touch.

I had a couple of gonis for a year or so but they didn’t like the new aquarium when I moved them. One is gone, but the other looks horrible, with only a few polyps around the bottom. Color is still great but most polyps have bailed out. I keep it in the tank hoping some day it will recover

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back