Micro Goniopora no PE

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, they’re close but not close enough to touch.

I had a couple of gonis for a year or so but they didn’t like the new aquarium when I moved them. One is gone, but the other looks horrible, with only a few polyps around the bottom. Color is still great but most polyps have bailed out. I keep it in the tank hoping some day it will recover
You never know. I have a purple goni that I've had for 3 years and it was big and extended then suddenly it withdrew and turned completely white. No other gonis on the rock had an issue. I pushed it back to a shaded area with lower flow and let it recover.

It took almost 8 months but it's close to fully recovered now and mostly colored back up (still a little lighter than it was before). All I did was slowly move it back into the light (the goni rock is on the sand bed and gets 200+ par) as it started to extend (still no color at that point) and made sure I kept up the spot feeding twice a week with a mix of Reef Roids, Goni power an Benereef).

My point is, never give up if there's a remote chance one can come back.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should start feeding mine.
I'll be 100% on my experience. The first 2 gonis I had years ago died within a few months each time. I decided that for whatever reason gonis just wouldn't do well in my 90g.

Then I talked to a very knowledgeable guy at a local coral store and he told me to try again but I needed to feed them for them to do well long term. I added 2 new gonis and started spot feeding twice a week. That was about 4 years ago and I now have 6 on a large rock, all together and although they do pout sometimes and the purple one had the previous issue I described, they are alive, growing and generally doing well.

I attribute their well being to the obvious stuff (appropriate par, appropriate flow, good water parameters) but I believe the spot feeding was the big difference for my tank. I'm sure they'll be plenty that will post that feeding isn't needed and they've got gonis the size of basketballs they've had for years with no special treatment. That hasn't been my experience but every tank is different. Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back