Torch coral looking unhappy - Stressed from growing?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Reefers, missus and I need help settling an argument regarding attached torch that looks somewhat unhappy.

She keeps maintaining that the reason it looks significantly worse than the one to the left of it is "that it is stressed" from growing a new head - therefore retracting it's polyps.

I maintain wanting to move it to a less "flowy" area and wait it out.

It is is a medium flow area with abt. 150 PAR. it is worth mentioning what it did look very well indeed for the past couple of months from adding it.

As for parameters, the only thing I can think off is my low nitrate (currently 0.6 ppm) and low iodine (ICP as of yesterday showed zero).

Settle this for us, please! Does "growing a new head" stress out my torch to this degree?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right one used to be the same size as the left one.

Obviously the right one is way more expensive as well, which is probably why that's the one looking bad.

1000002359.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottomed out nitrates means your corals are slowly starving to death. This decline can take weeks or months to show up very visibly in your tank. Perhaps your coral is showing you the effects now and others will follow in their own time. Need nitrates at 10 for LPS.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients would be my guess. In my tank, I keep my torches under high light, high random flow, and high nutrients. As long as there are breaks in the flow, they don't get too upset.

I suspect just increasing your nutrients would help a lot.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This won't settle your argument but mine only closes at night. 11 heads total. Nitrates much higher than 0.6

20240110_124920.jpg
So, I am slowly bringing up my nitrate with dosing. It takes a fair bit with the refugium I have going on, I may have to dial the Kessils back a little bit :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Iodine was sitting at 0 so I have started a small daily dose of this as well. Only time will tell; it's till alive and looks no better and no worse so that's at least something!

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottomed out nitrates means your corals are slowly starving to death. This decline can take weeks or months to show up very visibly in your tank. Perhaps your coral is showing you the effects now and others will follow in their own time. Need nitrates at 10 for LPS.
Yeah it's not the best of situations currently, guess I got a little too exited about the efficiency of my Triton-style refugium sump! :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not the best of situations currently, guess I got a little too exited about the efficiency of my Triton-style refugium sump! :)
Euphyllia corals can be very challenging. I lost some early on but after a year the tank really stabilized and my Torches have grown huge but now they kill a lot of neighbors unfortunately.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, it's not dead yet but does not by any mean look happy.. Slowly raising nitrate by 0.5 ppm/day sitting at abt. 2 ppm just now.

May be to late. Or it may just be a different issue. :)

Torches are classified as beginner friendly and relatively easy to keep? I never had much luck though!

Another expensive lesson is about to come up im afraid! And it's always the most expensive one you're loosing, isn't it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back