Is my skimmer too large?

GNZake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Classic 150INT 6” reef octopus skimmer lying around for when I had enough money to properly set up my 120gal nicely. I have a 40 breeder lying around which I was thinking about setting up. I was gonna have a 29gal that I would set up as a sump. I was wondering if this skimmer would be too large and not work right for this system. I've read that having too big of a skimmer can lead to it not working correctly.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Classic 150INT 6” reef octopus skimmer lying around for when I had enough money to properly set up my 120gal nicely. I have a 40 breeder lying around which I was thinking about setting up. I was gonna have a 29gal that I would set up as a sump. I was wondering if this skimmer would be too large and not work right for this system. I've read that having too big of a skimmer can lead to it not working correctly.
I have heard the same as far as a skimmer being too large for a system and there not being enough nutrients in the water for the skimmer to produce skimmate. According to the specs I found on that skimmer it should work fine for a 120 g with a 29 or 40 breeder as a sump. Just make sure when your designing your sump to keep in mind the depth the skimmer needs in be in the water. You can also stack egg crate under the skimmer if it needs it doesn't need to be as deep, but you can make the sump taller.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of a skimmer being too large, unless you have a low nutrient issue to begin with (in which case you can just run it part time). If there is not enough organic waste in the water, it just won't produce any skimmate.....doesn't change the effectiveness.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of a skimmer being too large, unless you have a low nutrient issue to begin with (in which case you can just run it part time). If there is not enough organic waste in the water, it just won't produce any skimmate.....doesn't change the effectiveness.

You could run it part time if there was a low nutrient issue. I prefer to try and simplify things as much as possible and running one part time, to me at least, adds another step I have to worry about. I am not lucky enough to have a controller that will run and monitor everything. Plus as a bonus I love having a full cup of skimmate to pour out, its about the satisfaction.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often skimmers are rated optimistically. Bulk Reef Supply rates that skimmer for 100 gallons at a heavy bio load. So it is not too overpowered for your proposed system.

There is a notion that you CAN over skim a system. But if you think you are having that problem, you can always put the skimmer on a timer and only skim part of the day. Or you can dial it way down but that might not be that successful.

It is worth a shot anyway.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back