Is My Stocking List Good?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have posted a couple questions on my stocking list in the past. After I got the feedback from those I edited my list and poster again. This is (hopefully) my final stocking list. Please tell me I've overstocked, if these fish won't work together etc. I'm planning to make it a reef someday but right nows it's a FOWLR. 55 gallons.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish (already have)
3 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Yellow Tang
1 Violet Hamlet
1 One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
1 Pygmy Angelfish

P.S. I'm pretty sure I have overstocked but maybe not?

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have posted a couple questions on my stocking list in the past. After I got the feedback from those I edited my list and poster again. This is (hopefully) my final stocking list. Please tell me I've overstocked, if these fish won't work together etc. I'm planning to make it a reef someday but right nows it's a FOWLR. 55 gallons.

3 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Yellow Tang
1 Violet Hamlet
1 Pygmy Angelfish

seems like a lot for a little i dont think overstocking is a concern as long as you have enough filtration to be able to handle all the waste for the fish all of these fish will be juvenile i assume?

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like a lot for a little i dont think overstocking is a concern as long as you have enough filtration to be able to handle all the waste for the fish all of these fish will be juvenile i assume?
more than likely you will have to remove some once they get too big.

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones specifically and do you have any replacement suggestions?
i had a 60 gallon before my 200 and i had 2 cardinals a yellow tang, royal gramma, and 2 clownfish as well as inverts if that helps any. but i would only put the yellow tang in and not the foxface as the foxface can get very large as in 9 inches

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

3 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Yellow Tang
1 Violet Hamlet
1 Pygmy Angelfish

Tang and foxface will not work in a 55 (40g with rock) set up

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones specifically and do you have any replacement suggestions?
The dragonet I would not put him in until your tank has been established. Due to the fact he needs live sand to feed. From copepods. also never seen a hamlet so i do not know the care requirements on that particular fish other than that i think you will be fine. One last thing is your pigmy angelfish is not reef safe. He may go after inverts as well as lps. Just a forewarning

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dragonet I would not put him in until your tank has been established. Due to the fact he needs live sand to feed. From copepods. also never seen a hamlet so i do not know the care requirements on that particular fish other than that i think you will be fine. One last thing is your pigmy angelfish is not reef safe. He may go after inverts as well as lps. Just a forewarning
Ok, what would you recommend?

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what would you recommend?
3 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Tang
1 Violet Hamlet- don't have enough info on them so I don't know
1 Pygmy Angelfish-not reef safe so it's up too you

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more do/don't?
I have a smaller mid size tank like yours. My DT is 65g. You should focus on small to medium colorful fish that like to swim. Yellow coris wrasse is stunning and great at hunting tank pests while very peaceful. Purple fire fish is beautiful and peaceful but stays by his cave.

Attachments

• 20211125_144003.jpg
    20211125_144003.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 25

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller mid size tank like yours. My DT is 65g. You should focus on small to medium colorful fish that like to swim. Yellow coris wrasse is stunning and great at hunting tank pests while very peaceful. Purple fire fish is beautiful and peaceful but stays by his cave.
is that an exquisite? looks beautiful.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Tang
1 Violet Hamlet- don't have enough info on them so I don't know
1 Pygmy Angelfish-not reef safe so it's up too you
Ok, any additional fish you would add that wasn't in my original stocking list?

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris wrasse and purple fire fish. The wrasse hardly eats frozen food because he hunts pest all day. Not a brighter yellow fish for a tank.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into those. Do you have any more recommendations? I'm looking for a wide variety of colors.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll definitely look into those. Do you have any more recommendations? I'm looking for a wide variety of colors.
Well it just depends on fish capatabilty with each other. I have an indigo dottyback that is beautiful azure blue. A fangtooth blenny that bright yellow and black stripes. Midas blenny that is orange yellow tone. There are many types of colorful peaceful fish to choose that will fit nicely into your tank size. Take your time. I would actually try to add the 2 clowns you already have a little later maybe after you get 2 fish in the tank so the clowns don't try and claim to much of the tank territory.

I have like 12 fish in my tank but they are small to medium size. Some are surface swimmers. Some mid tank and a few prefer the bottom half. Here is my stock

Yellow coris wrasse
6 line wrasse
Pintail fairy wrasse
Rohmboid wrasse
Indigo dottyback
Midas blenny
Fangtooth blenny
Blue streak cleaner wrasse
Coral beauty
Tailspot blenny
Mandarin
Purple fire fish
Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
Leica starfish
Serpent starfish
3 tuxedo urchins
Snails

Everything has been happy and healthy for extended time with no aggression issues. I tried small bristletooth tang early on but tank was to small for him.

You can have a nice full colorful reef tank of fish if you plan well and stay within your tanks dimensions and filtration capabilities.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it just depends on fish capatabilty with each other. I have an indigo dottyback that is beautiful azure blue. A fangtooth blenny that bright yellow and black stripes. Midas blenny that is orange yellow tone. There are many types of colorful peaceful fish to choose that will fit nicely into your tank size. Take your time. I would actually try to add the 2 clowns you already have a little later maybe after you get 2 fish in the tank so the clowns don't try and claim to much of the tank territory.

I have like 12 fish in my tank but they are small to medium size. Some are surface swimmers. Some mid tank and a few prefer the bottom half. Here is my stock

Yellow coris wrasse
6 line wrasse
Pintail fairy wrasse
Rohmboid wrasse
Indigo dottyback
Midas blenny
Fangtooth blenny
Blue streak cleaner wrasse
Coral beauty
Tailspot blenny
Mandarin
Purple fire fish
Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
Leica starfish
Serpent starfish
3 tuxedo urchins
Snails

Everything has been happy and healthy for extended time with no aggression issues. I tried small bristletooth tang early on but tank was to small for him.

You can have a nice full colorful reef tank of fish if you plan well and stay within your tanks dimensions and filtration capabilities.
Thank you so much! That list is very helpfull!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back