Is my Welso in trouble?

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody ever come across a feather duster living inside a brain coral, I have had it 3 months and it is thriving with the exception of an unexpected hitchhiker. Up until the last couple of days all has looked great now the mouth closest to where the fan pops out is looking a little ballooned looking. Any suggestions on how to safely retrieve the feather duster without damaging either? Sorry for the pic quality

Brainiac Mouth .jpg Brainiac w Feathers .jpg Brainiac.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine. Bonus hitchhiker. It is not growing "in" the coral just attached to the underside. Feather dusters like that do not grow within corals per se. If you want you can always remove, carefully now, the feather duster and place it in a rock crevase.

OP
OP
New2Reefn

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not on the bottom of the skeleton, I took him out last week to try and rehome the feather duster and there is no sign of the feather duster at all when you pick up and look under the brain. That was my biggest concern it looks like it is literally between the tissue and the skeleton and the only time you see any sign of the duster is after lights out when the brain deflates and gives him room to peek out.

OP
OP
New2Reefn

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight it looks like the tail of the worm is sticking out of the mouth closest to it. I first thought it was just "pooping" and tried to gently suction it but it crumbles like the encasing would on a normal placed feather duster

Attachments

• Braniac Worm at mouth.jpg
    Braniac Worm at mouth.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 46

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Seems like the coral grew around the worm then. The duster can't burrow within the coral as far as I have heard, so that leaves me with that assumption. They both seem to be doing fine so I would let it be and enjoy the chimera featherphylia you now have.

OP
OP
New2Reefn

New2Reefn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s been there for quite some time, is it causing any

Yesterday was the first I noticed any sign of an issue, The one mouth was really puffy, Otherwise both seem to be thriving. I am just worried as the worm continues to grow it will rip more flesh on the brain

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back