Is my wrasse getting enough food?

gotem86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse that I got from divers den to my tank a week ago today. Before I added him, I had a very healthy supply of pods in my tank. I even added a jar of apocalypse pods (from algae barn) the same night. I added the pods just to be sure there would be a good food source for him. I’ve fed the tank various foods the past week (frozen Mysis, frozen blood worms, new life spectrum pellet, ocean nutrition flake, hikari carnivore pellet), but I’ve only seen him eat a single Mysis from all of my feedings. He does occupy a space of my reef where it’s very difficult to see him, so it’s possible he has ate more than I have noticed. I do see him peck at the rocks all day, so I’m sure he’s eating pods. Is this guy gonna starve after he goes through all the pods?

OP
OP
G

gotem86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a refugium to boost the pod population ?

Negative, AIO tank. I’ve tried to add chaeto to one of my chambers and even added a red spectrum grow light, but got no growth. I guess I could add more chaeto for a pod home. The chaeto doesn’t die, it just doesn’t grow lol.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they actually survive on just pods?

So for comparison..I recently (1 mo) added a bluestar male and he also pecks at rocks all day. I do have a fuge and have pods for sure.

I've been playing with food for him. Doesn't like reef frenzy, But will eat pellets...like literally only two pellets of food and skip frozen stuff floating right by him. After two he stops.

When he was first added, there were like 30 feeder shrimp in the tank and he slayed them all, but that is super expensive option.

He looks good and is not getting skinny as far as I can tell.

I've aslo been trying some mysis option (rusalty.com mysis blend) and that is more successful.

@gotem86 try chaetogrow from brightwell

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hoeven's (Tailspot) wrasse is the most eager eater in my tank. He goes crazy for mysis, brine, etc. He will also pick/poke around all day, so I assume he is pod hunting.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possums are arguably the most reclusive of the wrasses and they will eat pods (pretty much any fish will) but to my knowledge they aren't strictly pod eaters. May have to try target feeding. I would also try something that is designed to get picky fish to eat (ie LRS Reef Frenzy) since it offers a wide variety diet in one food source as seen here:

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if helps but my (sixline) wrasse doesn't eat new life spectrum pellets. He eats frozen marine cuisine.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasse aren’t obligate pod feeders like mandarins. I’ve kept them on occasion and they always ate small mysis. They are reclusive and easily intimidated by more active fish - which is why I don’t keep them anymore. Nutramar ova is an excellent food to get them eating frozen, if you have any on hand. Cannot buy it anymore.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wrasses rarely miss a meal. Likely it’s eating more than you realize as possums are shy to begin with. May I suggest at next feed to position your phone at area where you feed........ drop food and place phone on video for 5 minutes and walk away.
come back later and then watch video and you’ll know exactly what’s going on .

OP
OP
G

gotem86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies! I tried some target feeding tonight and was able to see him eat at least 1 piece of Mysis. I’m still pretty concerned that he isn’t getting enough to eat, so I will try some reef frenzy next.

OP
OP
G

gotem86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d update everyone. My wrasse (Rick Wrastley) is doing well and eating frozen mysis shrimp frequently. I think he was just shy and took him a couple weeks to settle in before he’d come out and eat. He won’t touch any dry food and I do want to provide a varied diet for him. Will pick up other frozen food and see what works.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back