is quarantining necessary?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are tons of opinions on quarantining and not quarantining saltwater fish, but i wonder if it is really necessary to quarantine. I would rather not, because im on a tight budget, but if its absolutely necessary, i'll go for it. Thanks for your help

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are tons of opinions on quarantining and not quarantining saltwater fish, but i wonder if it is really necessary to quarantine. I would rather not, because im on a tight budget, but if its absolutely necessary, i'll go for it. Thanks for your help
In my opinion, absolutely yes. Go look at my posts a few years back where I lost multiple expensive fish that were completely fine for months after one new addition. however, if I was running a small tank with only a few fish I am not sure I would do it.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how good is your luck? All it takes is one sick fish or one velvet or ich trophont to kick start a tank wide infection. Alternatively, you can buy quarantined fish, but that solves half the problem if you don’t quarantine your corals. Or you can cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will probably do it. Is quarantinng 1.5 - 2 weeks ok? If a fish is actually sick, how do i treat it?

that’s one of the best qt threads in my opinion

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a loaded question..Some are fanatical when it comes to qt'ing...others are minimal or NO qt (see Paul B's thoughts on the subject) .. I do minimal - 10 days of low salinity 1.009...during the last 3 days I'll feed food soaked in fenbenazole... that's it. and I never had external parasites of any kind in my DT after doing that...HTH

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what those against quarantine cannot do:

change the tide of the fish disease forum by posting pics of their no quarantine reef

meaning for eighty pages, what’s working in the fish disease forum

notice it’s Jay helping the posters with direct action, time frames and a specific plan

until a single example exists in the FDF exists of standard tanks being worked without quarantine, you should qt.

read this whole thread

clearly there are some awesome no qt tanks but what’s the ratio in the actual forum, say 5 or 6 no qt masters and then ten years of help threads for pages where qt and fallow does the work

Last edited:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what those against quarantine cannot do:

change the tide of the fish disease forum by posting pics of their no quarantine reef

meaning for eighty pages, what’s working in the fish disease forum

notice it’s Jay helping the posters with direct action, time frames and a specific plan

until a single example exists in the FDF exists of standard tanks being worked without quarantine, you should qt.

read this whole thread

see how only pics of their tanks exist, it’s just selfie pics over and over while every single post it’s never a pic of another tank pre and post disease

clearly there are some awesome no qt tanks but what’s the ratio in the actual forum, say 5 or 6 no qt masters and then ten years of help threads for pages where qt and fallow does the work
All the mfr's of fish meds and treatments...will love u for this post...lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol agreed I went back to edit in ‘display’ meaning the various tonics we use in place of qt and fallow, since none are stickies in the FDF and for the first twenty pages of the forum they cured zero disease issues

the actual bottled meds to be used in quarantine should not be in that lump

I think garlic feeding tonics are in the snake oil group though unless I’m reading incorrectly in the disease forum, it’s never recommended ever as a legit cure I can see.

for example no sticky is at the top for garlic feeding yet peers swear by it for twenty years or better

every sticky, every worked thread there is a mode from qt and fallow just like the zoos use. Garlic for example doesn’t keep Jays zoo exhibit alive, it’s qt that does. It’s neat to have that forum ran in the way zoos run their exhibits

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world, yes. We live in a far from perfect world. If you are fortunate enough to have a dedicated quarantine tanks then you should qt all your stuff. Most people don't have that option. In that case dip everything you can and buy from a reputable seller or retailer.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider qt as necessary as the display tank parts, if can’t be bought then don’t buy fish they’ll just die in eight months. No qt = no fish, coral only.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they available from pre quarantined sites those are becoming popular options maybe

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a list of actions to take that would help, something specific to the posters new tank options

they’re missing the rock maturity angle and the feed quality angle that’s for sure.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Qurantine is a must!! It's as important as cycling your tank! You can avoid qurantine and get lucky. But your luck will run out eventually. The majority of us long time reefers have gone thru the mistakes of not qurantining. It was a expensive lesson learned.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is how many tanks for others can you fix by skipping it

theres a big divide between what non qt folks post/ always perfection vs what new tankers post in updates, an 80% loss rate for skipping it

we need to bridge that divide bigtime, somehow

i think that sometimes the non qt crew loses a fish and simply omits that from the report, they then just buy another. But we get the report to indicate no losses. Not sure how else we can score the division between posts

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back