2500 Club Member
- Review score
- +0 /0 /-0
Partner member 2022
R2R Secret Santa 2021Build Thread Contributor
my guess is that much of your 'live rock' is 'dead rock' after months in copper
- or you're just trying to create resistant parasites - just like people accuse LFS of doing.
There are reasons for QT protocols without Live rock.
They have been studied - researched - and the best thing
if you're going to use drugs make sure you jknow how much you're dosing.
my guess is you're not doing anything as compared to drop into the tank and hope, - with he risk of resistant organisms. ???
copper inhibits/kills nitrifiers. that seems to ba a fact. since most of the rock is supposedly adsorbing copper - according to what you said the bacteria on the rock is probably dead - or - the science is wrongThere is a well established biofilter and living macro algae. So although many microfauna didn't make it, your statement is factually incorrect.
Considering the live rock came from a parasite free system, with now two 90+ day plus fishless fallow periods in full therapeutic copper concentration that seems rather unlikely. There is of course a risk a new fish brings in already copper resistant parasites, but if they can survive full therapeutic copper it's already too late anyway.
Yes. Mainly because rock binds copper making it difficult to maintain consistent levels. This is not a problem once the rock is at steady state with the water, but this takes time. Secondarily, an established biofilter will break down many other medications.
Knowing these things allows one to account for them.
I understand the research involved. Do you?
It's indeed important to not use drugs that are degraded in the presence of an established biofilter that are degraded by an established biofilter. Copper is not one of these medications. Alternative treatment modalities are required for other medications such as food binding or treating in another tank after or before copper treatment.
This is obviously baseless. I treat in full therapeutic copper for 30+ days with general cure given bound to food during this time and an observation period in a copper free tank afterwards.
As is obvious to most in this hobby, existing quarantine protocols, though very useful, are very far from optimized. They aren't going to get better if no one even tinkers around the edges; which is all this is.
copper inhibits/kills nitrifiers. that seems to ba a fact. since most of the rock is supposedly adsorbing copper - according to what you said the bacteria on the rock is probably dead
- or - the science is wrong