Is stable PH better vs higher PH?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PH in my tank cycles from a high of 8.2-ish at 7PM-ish, to a low of 8.0-ish at 7AM-ish. This is in a 240 gallon tank about 6 months old. I've watched some BRS videos that recommend 8.3 as the optimal PH, and suggested adding control to stabilize it. So I had my maintenance guy set up a CO2 scrubber, with solenoid control to the air intake of my skimmer, so I can control whether the skimmer draws air from the scrubber, or from the air in the room. Using this, I can somewhat stabilize my PH and flatten the sine wave curve from 7 to 7. But it never goes above 8.25.

So, would it be better to just have the scrubber supplying all the air to my skimmer, raising the PH as much as possible? Or would it be better to use the control I have to stabilize it around 8.1. If the answer is the latter, ultimately I might try dosing kalk or something, so I can stabilize the PH around a higher setpoint around 8.3...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PH in my tank cycles from a high of 8.2-ish at 7PM-ish, to a low of 8.0-ish at 7AM-ish. This is in a 240 gallon tank about 6 months old. I've watched some BRS videos that recommend 8.3 as the optimal PH, and suggested adding control to stabilize it. So I had my maintenance guy set up a CO2 scrubber, with solenoid control to the air intake of my skimmer, so I can control whether the skimmer draws air from the scrubber, or from the air in the room. Using this, I can somewhat stabilize my PH and flatten the sine wave curve from 7 to 7. But it never goes above 8.25.

So, would it be better to just have the scrubber supplying all the air to my skimmer, raising the PH as much as possible? Or would it be better to use the control I have to stabilize it around 8.1. If the answer is the latter, ultimately I might try dosing kalk or something, so I can stabilize the PH around a higher setpoint around 8.3...
This seems ideal to me. Many have trouble getting pH to be as high as 8, so the fact that yours is consistently 8 or above is great!

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable is better.

Unless your trying to eek out optimal growth, 8.3 isn't really necessary. Where your PH is, is fine.
Yes, sure, but am trying to eke. I have the setup to do it, so why not?

Last edited:

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree stable is better.
You can only do so much.
The best you can do is improve the air going into your skimmer.
Simple as opening windows if possible.
Or connect it to a large tube to outside air.
Or connect it to container filled with media to remove CO2
but this will only raise it 0.2-0.3

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree stable is better.
You can only do so much.
The best you can do is improve the air going into your skimmer.
Simple as opening windows if possible.
Or connect it to a large tube to outside air.
Or connect it to container filled with media to remove CO2
but this will only raise it 0.2-0.3
Why do I think stable is better.
Many use Kalkwasser partly to up PH.
So in a large tank I did this thru a reactor.
But my pump froze. I wanted to raise the PH I was monitoring.
I accidentally pushed water thru a DI resin straight to it ( thought I turned it off) and killed 5 years of growth in a few minutes.
So yea sometimes not tinkering is best.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that there is any evidence that stable pH is better then a pH swing, which happens in the ocean as well.

I suppose that to answer the question, one must require a definition of best.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that there is any evidence that stable pH is better then a pH swing, which happens in the ocean as well.

Ok, I think that answers my question. Thanks. I’ll let it go as high as it wants, but cut out the CO2 scrubber if it gets close to 8.3.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’d define stable as in not constantly striving to continually adjust.

IMO, moist people would not define a daily pH swing from 7.8 to 8.3 to be stable. In any case, that’s the sort of instability I was addressing.

Last edited:

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of coral that isn’t bothered by a 7.95 to 8.40 daily swing. It’s been a little more wild lately since I lowered alk to 7.0 to reduce growth a few months ago. When it was 9.0 there was less swinging
BB30C2D3-DAAD-4B80-818D-876017E82157.jpeg

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I don't think anyone can conclusively say which is best.

I've had a stable pH of 8.3ish for about 6 months. This was made possible with opposite light cycle tanks(on the same system) and kalk dosing controlled by a pH probe. But due to a very recent overflow seam failure, my two tanks are now independent of each other. I'm back to pH swings!

Display was 7.9 in the early am. Currently at 8.28. Using a basic pinpoint pH monitor.

Frag tank is maintaining higher than expected so far. Hydros logs are tied to this system.

phr2r.png

I'll report back if the swings start killing everything. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there actually evidence that "stable" pH is beneficial?

I haven't seen any.

Beneficial requires a definition. I saw a paper where it was the pH high that seemed to control skeletal growth, and a range that went higher was better than stable at lower pH.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’d think! The sun goes down every day lol.. not to mention the shallow tide pools get hit with all kinds of weird stuff like fresh rain etc..

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, PH of 8.2 IMO is fine. I wouldn’t necessarily chase numbers unless you’re having an issue.
You can also try running your skimmer air line outside to draw in fresh air. That made a huge difference on my system.
PH went from 7.9 range to 8.2 range just from drawing in fresh air. Seemed to be more of an issue during winter months, not as easy to open a window when it’s cold outside.
That scrubber should have similar affect as drawing in fresh air but I would try using both.
Never know what’s possible unless you try.
maybe with some luck you’ll hit 8.3.
realistically, I probably won’t see PH much higher than 8.2 range. I dose vinegar and also run a Ca reactor and both are know to drive down PH, I’m probably lucky to have a stable PH range of ~8.2.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the typical range of fluctuatio in the ocean?
Im sure it may vary for location to location.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back