Is that ugly phase?

Flax75

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Europe
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is currently 2 months old, problems started a month ago, when I though that Dino appeared in the tank (phosphates bottomed to 0) and I did 5 day black out and dosing bacter7, but recently I discovered that algae on rocks turning green. Here are some photos:
1. During water change with white light - the sand has just been cleaned, rocks cannot be cleaned:
1.jpg


2. Few days before:
2.jpg

(Sand before water change)

Sand was looking like brown sugar. During the day there are many bubbles coming from rocks and some from sand. Parameters:
- Temp: 80F
- Ph: 8.3
- Alk: 8
- PO4: 0.09 (dosing)
- NO3: 20 (dosed to much)


I am not sure if it is Dino or ugly phase? How should I proceed?
Thanks
 
Hello,

My tank is currently 2 months old, problems started a month ago, when I though that Dino appeared in the tank (phosphates bottomed to 0) and I did 5 day black out and dosing bacter7, but recently I discovered that algae on rocks turning green. Here are some photos:
1. During water change with white light - the sand has just been cleaned, rocks cannot be cleaned:
1.jpg


2. Few days before:
2.jpg

(Sand before water change)

Sand was looking like brown sugar. During the day there are many bubbles coming from rocks and some from sand. Parameters:
- Temp: 80F
- Ph: 8.3
- Alk: 8
- PO4: 0.09 (dosing)
- NO3: 20 (dosed to much)


I am not sure if it is Dino or ugly phase? How should I proceed?
Thanks
IMO It could be both. There’s no way to avoid the ugly phase, but you did the right thing by increasing the PO4. I’d keep an eye on the po4 and no3 and just wait it out. If the brown stuff on the sand looks like brown powder then it’s probably diatoms which will go away. If it gets long and stringy with bubbles it’s probably dinos.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new