Is that ugly phase?

Flax75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is currently 2 months old, problems started a month ago, when I though that Dino appeared in the tank (phosphates bottomed to 0) and I did 5 day black out and dosing bacter7, but recently I discovered that algae on rocks turning green. Here are some photos:
1. During water change with white light - the sand has just been cleaned, rocks cannot be cleaned:
1.jpg

2. Few days before:
2.jpg

(Sand before water change)

Sand was looking like brown sugar. During the day there are many bubbles coming from rocks and some from sand. Parameters:
- Temp: 80F
- Ph: 8.3
- Alk: 8
- PO4: 0.09 (dosing)
- NO3: 20 (dosed to much)

I am not sure if it is Dino or ugly phase? How should I proceed?
Thanks

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is currently 2 months old, problems started a month ago, when I though that Dino appeared in the tank (phosphates bottomed to 0) and I did 5 day black out and dosing bacter7, but recently I discovered that algae on rocks turning green. Here are some photos:
1. During water change with white light - the sand has just been cleaned, rocks cannot be cleaned:
1.jpg

2. Few days before:
2.jpg

(Sand before water change)

Sand was looking like brown sugar. During the day there are many bubbles coming from rocks and some from sand. Parameters:
- Temp: 80F
- Ph: 8.3
- Alk: 8
- PO4: 0.09 (dosing)
- NO3: 20 (dosed to much)

I am not sure if it is Dino or ugly phase? How should I proceed?
Thanks
IMO It could be both. There’s no way to avoid the ugly phase, but you did the right thing by increasing the PO4. I’d keep an eye on the po4 and no3 and just wait it out. If the brown stuff on the sand looks like brown powder then it’s probably diatoms which will go away. If it gets long and stringy with bubbles it’s probably dinos.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back