Is the BTA dying?

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody

The BTA is like this for last seven day. Sometimes it shrivels up. When the light goes off it becomes white without any greenish tinge. When I bought it the colour was pink, slowly it became green and ultimately white, more so after the Clarki started hosting on it.
From the begining it did not take any food like chipped shrimp.
I have 60 w Led and 2 T5s 18 w each. 200 litre display. Parameters are normal except NO3 is 20.
I am trying to target feed it everyday with Reef Roids. Not sure if it is eating.
Should I take it out?

Regards
SId

When lights are on:
20210201_145805.jpg

When lights are off:
16135944597356507686841195246087.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly it is bleached and not happy. Your nitrates are fine and I would not try to lower them. They are a food source for anemones. I suspect it may not be getting enough light. Anemones need a lot of light. What light, what intensity and how many hours a day are you running them? What size tank, how old, other parameters?
Without knowing your other parameters it is hard to make any other recommendations.

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly it is bleached and not happy. Your nitrates are fine and I would not try to lower them. They are a food source for anemones. I suspect it may not be getting enough light. Anemones need a lot of light. What light, what intensity and how many hours a day are you running them? What size tank, how old, other parameters?
Without knowing your other parameters it is hard to make any other recommendations.
I have another BTA which is doing fine at the bottom of the tank actually on the substrate.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume : 320 Litre including Sump
Filtration type : Mechanical and Biological. BM Curve 5 skimmer, Santa Monica Drop .6, Sock Filters, Ceramic rings and Sponge Pads, Nano Block in Refugium
Lighting : 60 W Led , 2 T5s 18 W each
How long has the aquarium been established? : August 2020
Digital image of the aquarium under white light
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume : 320 Litre including Sump
Filtration type : Mechanical and Biological. BM Curve 5 skimmer, Santa Monica Drop .6, Sock Filters, Ceramic rings and Sponge Pads, Nano Block in Refugium
Lighting : 60 W Led , 2 T5s 18 W each
How long has the aquarium been established? : August 2020
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water Quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature : 27 C Digital and Analog
pH: 8.2 API
Salinity / specific gravity : 1.026
Ammonia : 0 API
Nitrite : 0 API
Nitrate : 20 API
Phosphorus : 0.03 Salifert
Copper : NA
Other

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had both of them? The parameters you posted look good. What is your Alkalinity?
Alk is 10.5. The nem is with me for last 3 months. The healthy nem is in the tank for 7 days.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe too much light? It was white when u got it? Id turn flow down a bit if u can and check salt level
D

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ur waters really clean and clear it could b too much light. Hths. It should find a shady spot on its own.
D

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had that problem also. Put first anenome in last June and has done great. Put another in a month later and it hasn’t done nearly as well. Moved under an arch with little light for a month and got really small so flipped arch up to get it more light. Looked a little better and stayEd there a month. just a few weeks ago it moved into a shadier spot. My water chemistry is about the same as yours. Everything else including the other nem is doing great so I think water and lighting are good. I’ve read that nems can be weird so I’m just watching and waiting so see how it does.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ur waters really clean and clear it could b too much light. Hths. It should find a shady spot on its own.
D
It is almost impossible to give an anemone to much light! They love light and can easily retract or move away from it. A friend had a cloan of mine directky under 400 watt plus 2 T5s 8 hours a day.

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said 60w LED light... What light? There are many types of LED lighting. Could you be more specific? Brand, model?
Sunsun 700 H reef Led 60 watts. 2 T5 18 watts each(one Acetonic and one Blue)

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but if it came from a tank with lower light. Or it was already bleached?!
I do believe you can give your anenome too much light but that is my opinion.
D

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but if it came from a tank with lower light. Or it was already bleached?!
I do believe you can give your anenome too much light but that is my opinion.
D
Now it is perched on a rock which is 12 inches from the lights. It has placed itself under a little arch. I am feeding it everyday with Reef Roids since it is rejects bigger food from day 1. What else I can do to restore it's colours?

Pic when bought
20201115_150818.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doubt it is the light as it isnt much. Stop trying to feed as it isnt going to help and probably just stress it out more. I wouldnt try to feed either for another month as they do not need it to survive. Keep the parameters stable and maybe to a 10-20% water change and change filter pads just in case. Adding some activated carbon wont hurt either in case of chemical warfare occurring in the tank. Good luck

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also doubt the led you have will sustain the anemones for long so i suggest changing those out. 1 or 2 orphek or3 bars are probably the cheapest option to add sufficient lighting for those anemones

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture looks better already imo. Keep feeding the tank daily or keep on your routine to keep balance. Dont spot feed or force feed. It will catch stuff in the water. Glad it moved up and is taking light!
Prob just needed some acclimation time.
D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back