Is the H. Mag a walker?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know all anemones can move, it’s a known risk as an anemone keeper. But, in your experience, has your Magnifica walked a lot or does it generally stay where you put it? It seems you constantly hear BTAs and others moving frequently but never really hear about it with Magnificas

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mostly move to the glass and stay high up in the tank .

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They'll definitely walk to find a spot that's to their liking. STRONG lighting and a moderate-strong alternating indirect current around it will help it get settled.

I have two. One is set up on a pedestal and has parked itself there for a year and a half, but every 4-5 months it will wander a little bit around the rock until it decides to go back to its previous spot. It's going to outgrow it's current foothold at some point, so I will need to figure something out.

The other will shift 3-4 inches on it's shelf from time to time, but never really goes far.

If you're planning on placing corals around yours, wait until it gets settled and aim to give it a wide berth (6-12" if you can afford it), they grow large and quickly. Or, simply create a dedicated spot for it at the very top of the rockwork.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one yet, but it’s my bucket list anemone

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned, they like to walk, especially when they're not happy (typically due to water parameters, especially if flow and lighting are properly dialed in).

One way to mitigate the walking is to provide it with a flat rock. Unlike other anemones that like to hide their foot in rockwork or bury it in sand, mags like to spread out their foot (I describe it as looking like a fried egg). This rock should also be positioned far enough way from the walls of the tank, so that when the mag is on top, none of its tentacles can "feel" the walls. If it can feel the flat surface it'll want to move.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned, they like to walk, especially when they're not happy (typically due to water parameters, especially if flow and lighting are properly dialed in).

One way to mitigate the walking is to provide it with a flat rock. Unlike other anemones that like to hide their foot in rockwork or bury it in sand, mags like to spread out their foot (I describe it as looking like a fried egg). This rock should also be positioned far enough way from the walls of the tank, so that when the mag is on top, none of its tentacles can "feel" the walls. If it can feel the flat surface it'll want to move.
Good to know! That would make sense

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back