Is the Trident really almost here!?! Super excited about this update from Neptune!!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view this morning.

box of trident.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only think that sucks now is that we are all anticipating the release with a light at the end of the tunnel, kinda like dangling a carrot in front of our noses, LOL!!!

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never clear to me how/why they pick the testers they pick. None of the experienced reefers I know ever get asked - maybe it's like getting selected to be on a jury …. the more you know the less they want you (which is good because you can almost always talk your way out of getting picked LOL).

I'm glad Rich is one of them though.

And too the comments about it being ugly by other members, shame on you! It's hideous! It's like the '50s at Neptune apparently. On a serious note, I'd much prefer a design that was stackable and easy to tuck out of the way.

tankzombi3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will wait a while to see all the reviews/issues before I get one. Also will have to upgrade to the new apex first.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t care who it looks like as long as it works as advertised! It’ll be packed away with the other 50lbs of stuff in the super spacious Red Sea reefers’ cabinet

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the Trident may only be $600 without the new Apex and a DOS it’s pretty much useless. For those that already have these it’s no big deal but for people who dont the real cost of the trident as compared to any other alkalinity tester out is much closer to $1300.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My view this morning.

box of trident.jpg

Can’t wait for that to my view one day! I’ve been holding out so I could pair the Trident with my other Neptune gear.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine. I use it more for a guide rather than a real time monitoring probe. I forget who provided that tip but I think it was a video I was watching a couple times of the lads down by the bay doing coral propagation. In fact, I learned more in that 25 minute video about the apex and saltwater than scouring the interwebs. But to answer your question it is fine. So is the fish feeder. Thank you for reminding me, I forgot I had that. I mostly use it when I travel for work to limit what my family has to do while I'm away.

Thanks, that sounds like the vid they did of the lab I run, glad it was helpful. And if it is a different vid, I am still glad it helped you!

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine. I use it more for a guide rather than a real time monitoring probe. I forget who provided that tip but I think it was a video I was watching a couple times of the lads down by the bay doing coral propagation. In fact, I learned more in that 25 minute video about the apex and saltwater than scouring the interwebs. But to answer your question it is fine. So is the fish feeder. Thank you for reminding me, I forgot I had that. I mostly use it when I travel for work to limit what my family has to do while I'm away.

Again, no ecosystem is perfect and mass manufactoring products does yield some failures. Apex code is pretty painless. I'm coming from an earlier model that didn't have the wizard. I also have a Reef Angel which is based off of the Arduino kit(s). So there is a lot of programming and there is no wizard per say for the custom library use. Tides, geo location, sunrise, set, etc. So Apex isn't really that big of a deal to me. I'm sure there are many that are using the advanced stuff. I'm just not one of them at the moment because, well, my reef tank upgrade is only 9 months old and still maturing to where I am only now getting ready to add some corals.

Our European counter parts, like to keep the monitoring side of GHL wifi from the master side dosing, etc....

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem people are ok with Neptune making products that are effected by salt water. Lol that’s crazy.

I don't think anyone is ok with it. We might though, understand and have compassion for all the companies that are working hard to do it right, and sometimes, unforeseen stuff happens. What seems important is how the companies deal with it when it happens. Both the companies mentioned in this discussion handled product manufacturing problems pretty well, so I don't understand why people want to throw them under the bus.

I don’t want to write 8-10 line of code for a ATO that doesn’t make any sense.

I don't think you actually have to write much yourself anymore, but I haven't used that product. The wizards are great, and you can really just find the code you like, change the timing to fit your needs, and paste it it. But I get it, I didn't use the APEX for much for the first couple years because I didn't want to understand the code. Turn's out, it isn't that bad a learning curve, and the community support is fantastic - just post what you want to do if you can't figure it out, and someone will not only post the code you need, but explain what it does (if you are interested) and follow up if you have any issues.

How is your salinity probe doing ??

Fine. Like any piece of equipment, you just need to know what it actually does and how, then you can use it effectively.

How about AFS

Works just as well as any autofeeder.

All equipment might go bad - that's how the game works right?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can come over and spend quality time with mine!

Watch out I’ll take you up on that!! I need an excuse to come see the amazing work you have going on!!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your guys video, very informative. We all appreciate it and learned from it. Thanks for sharing

Thanks! We send those things out into the world and it is hard to know if they are useful - always great to find out someone found it helpful!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. This seems like it has been a nice discussion even with all the disagreement back and forth. I stopped most of my activity on forums a long time ago because they got to contentious, but discussions like this make me happy I checked back in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%

Back