Is there a decent glass scraper????

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wasted sooo much money on glass scrapers that don't live up to their reputation. Sure, smaller tanks are easily cleaned with a safety razor. But when you have a tank who's depth exceeds the length of your arm, you need help.

So... what are we doing to scrape our glass? I'm looking for suggestions.

Thank you,
Dom

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked and used the Flipper magnetic glass cleaner for my glass aquarium. It floats:
Flipper Scraper

It comes in different sizes.

As with most glass build-up, it works best when the aquarium glass is 'scraped' no less than once/week.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper edge, magnetic, no need to get your arms in the tank, has 2 blades, floats just in case, and works amazingly

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze magnetic cleaner and I modifier scrapers with pvc handles that are 3 feet and 5 feet long For the tuff stuff. Works for my 300 gallon tanks

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inalso use the tunze magnet scraper. I don't have the metal blade in use and the plastic scraper works fine on coralline algae for me.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze magnetic cleaner and I modifier scrapers with pvc handles that are 3 feet and 5 feet long For the tuff stuff. Works for my 300 gallon tanks

Yes, I'd like to find something long and sturdy that allows me to put a fresh safety razor on the end and go to work.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, I'd like to find something long and sturdy that allows me to put a fresh safety razor on the end and go to work.
i'm just looking for something to glide through this stubborn CA on the corners of the tank...

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm another fan of the Tunze. They redid them a couple years so they now float, they have replaceable blades, and have always been easy to use while leaving a nice clean panel behind that was free from scratches.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm gathering from all of this is that the magnetic scrapers that have blades attached do more than the mag-float scraper I have that is essentially just a kitchen scrubbie on the back side of a magnet? I can try that...

I still need a handled scraper to get the the back glass. Anyone have a favorite? (Sorry OP, I'm sharing your question :) )

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm gathering from all of this is that the magnetic scrapers that have blades attached do more than the mag-float scraper I have that is essentially just a kitchen scrubbie on the back side of a magnet? I can try that...

I still need a handled scraper to get the the back glass. Anyone have a favorite? (Sorry OP, I'm sharing your question :) )
See post above - works good, and with a fresh blade the Corraline just comes straight off.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze, magfloat/Aquaforest and algae free are the only ones I’ll ever buy. Flipper nano is absolutely garbage for anything hard to get off. Ok at getting film off.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned and used mag floats, flipper, algae free, and Tunze. I find myself almost always preferring the Tunze, however the algae free works pretty well too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back