Is there a dummy's guide to how hydrogen peroxide helps with nuisance algae?

Stefaan F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my understanding H2O2, or H-O=O-H, is indeed a strong oxidizer just like O3.
What happens is it binds to organics, for example carbon chains, and splits them up:
C-C-C-C-C-C + H-O=O-H ==> C-C-C-O-H + H-O-C-C-C
Very easy representation, not exact ofcourse, and the peroxide can bind anywhere in the organic molecule.
Reactions could be very different depending on the molecule it reacts with, but this is the basis.

All life is made up of these organic molecules on a cellular level, think about cell walls, DNA, cell organels,...
If the cell wall is partially destroyed, the cell dies.
So if peroxide binds with enough organics, life is killed.
The result of this binding is a new organic molecule, an alcohol (typically carbon chain with OH at the end) in many cases, and it is in most cases not toxic.
So you could say once H2O2 binds, its effect is fully gone. In my opinion O3 does nearly thesame.
I like to compare it with burning wood with fire. It oxidises the organic matter, and the residue is mostly non-toxic.

Now the interesting part is that oxigen radicals are everywhere in nature. Like it is a byproduct of photosynthesis. Scientifically named, ROS (reactive oxigen species: O3, H2O2, O*,...) get formed easily and therefore many organisms have adapted to break it down.
Higher organisms are in many cases resistant as they have outer layers that protect them, and they have antioxidants (carotene, vitamin-C and many others) that break down the ROS. that means single cell organisms like dino's, algae, or bacteria are much more susceptible.
but not in every case. Like some strains of bacteria have katalase, an enzyme that breaks down H2O2. And will therefore be much more resilient than most.

I love to use H2O2 as a treatment against bacterial infections.
Sometimes my SPS start to STN, and i use a pipette to put some H2O2 on the dead area and the inch above. It works certainly in some cases.
Even better is brown jelly in euphyllia's, I have many large colonies with 20-150 heads, and had a brown jelly breakout.
You have to be quick, but once 1 head gets infected, cut out as much as you can, suck out most of the flesh and put H2O2 in with a pipette. It burns all leftover, and disinfects.
I have a 1000 gallon with large corals, so I cannot easily take out whole corals and dip them, so I like to do in tank spot treatments like this and they really help.
I did save a non-branching euphyllia even, A large colony, 1/3 was gone but I could stop the brown jelly spreading by sucking out the infected tissue and putting H2O2 in 3 times a day for 2 days. At the end not too many deaths from the brown jelly.

Whole tank treatments are different for me, you will kill a lot of the one celled organisms, but others like the catalase positive bacteria will stay alive. Result is you push your microbiological diversity a lot in the direction op catalase positives, and others that can break down H2O2. Is it bad? No idea! But microbiological diversity in your reef is a very important topic that we know too little about.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:thinking-face:It is not. Ozone and H2O2 react differently, though ultimately achieve a similar thing...
They literally react differently but figuratively do the same thing…

Life doesn’t always have to be literal and why I stand by my comment it’s liquid ozone ;)

This isn’t a science paper. It’s a hobby that literally keeps life in a box that figuratively tries to replicate nature :)

mrreo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about peroxide as a dip? What is the commonly used ratio of peroxide to water?
i did a dip for two minutes with 3% peroxide then rinced in tanks saltwater on my hammer with hair algae and in week it was gone i would be to afraid to put peroxide direct in my tank

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with actually dosing hydrogen peroxide, but using it as part of the prophylactic quarantining is well established. It does an excellent job on hair algae, but caution is your best bet like anything else. Do some research before using any treatment because what one coral will tolerate, another could literally perish.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my understanding H2O2, or H-O=O-H, is indeed a strong oxidizer just like O3.
What happens is it binds to organics, for example carbon chains, and splits them up:
C-C-C-C-C-C + H-O=O-H ==> C-C-C-O-H + H-O-C-C-C
Very easy representation, not exact ofcourse, and the peroxide can bind anywhere in the organic molecule.
Reactions could be very different depending on the molecule it reacts with, but this is the basis.

All life is made up of these organic molecules on a cellular level, think about cell walls, DNA, cell organels,...
If the cell wall is partially destroyed, the cell dies.
So if peroxide binds with enough organics, life is killed.
The result of this binding is a new organic molecule, an alcohol (typically carbon chain with OH at the end) in many cases, and it is in most cases not toxic.
So you could say once H2O2 binds, its effect is fully gone. In my opinion O3 does nearly thesame.
I like to compare it with burning wood with fire. It oxidises the organic matter, and the residue is mostly non-toxic.

Now the interesting part is that oxigen radicals are everywhere in nature. Like it is a byproduct of photosynthesis. Scientifically named, ROS (reactive oxigen species: O3, H2O2, O*,...) get formed easily and therefore many organisms have adapted to break it down.
Higher organisms are in many cases resistant as they have outer layers that protect them, and they have antioxidants (carotene, vitamin-C and many others) that break down the ROS. that means single cell organisms like dino's, algae, or bacteria are much more susceptible.
but not in every case. Like some strains of bacteria have katalase, an enzyme that breaks down H2O2. And will therefore be much more resilient than most.

I love to use H2O2 as a treatment against bacterial infections.
Sometimes my SPS start to STN, and i use a pipette to put some H2O2 on the dead area and the inch above. It works certainly in some cases.
Even better is brown jelly in euphyllia's, I have many large colonies with 20-150 heads, and had a brown jelly breakout.
You have to be quick, but once 1 head gets infected, cut out as much as you can, suck out most of the flesh and put H2O2 in with a pipette. It burns all leftover, and disinfects.
I have a 1000 gallon with large corals, so I cannot easily take out whole corals and dip them, so I like to do in tank spot treatments like this and they really help.
I did save a non-branching euphyllia even, A large colony, 1/3 was gone but I could stop the brown jelly spreading by sucking out the infected tissue and putting H2O2 in 3 times a day for 2 days. At the end not too many deaths from the brown jelly.

Whole tank treatments are different for me, you will kill a lot of the one celled organisms, but others like the catalase positive bacteria will stay alive. Result is you push your microbiological diversity a lot in the direction op catalase positives, and others that can break down H2O2. Is it bad? No idea! But microbiological diversity in your reef is a very important topic that we know too little about.

FWIW, hydrogen peroxide is both an oxidizer (not as strong as ozone, however) and also a reducer in seawater.

When added to reef tank water, the first effect on ORP is often a drop in ORP, possibly because it can reduce Cu++ to Cu+.

We discuss the reducing effect of hydrogen peroxide in extensive detail here:

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not. Ozone and H2O2 react differently, though ultimately achieve a similar thing... for the most part. They are both strong oxidizers, ozone, however, has the means to break down more complex molecules, and off the top of my head, no organisms can actually break down/destroy ozone preemptively before it causes damage (though it does deplete as it reacts with organics)

For those who don't want a briefing on organic chemistry, it essentially is able to break down cell walls and also damage cellular machinery. However, hydrogen peroxide is a naturally found and used defense (in fact our bodies produce it in the process of fighting some infections). Some bacteria, in the meanwhile, have enzymes that break down or neutralize hydrogen peroxide, as a defense or just by means of how they naturally operate. So not all bacteria or organisms (including some disease causing organisms) are affected by peroxide. This also differs between organisms because not all of them break it down the same way. Some, despite being resistant, can be overwhelmed by excess peroxide as their mechanisms cannot keep up, some can rapidly keep up with increases in peroxide. More complex multicellular organisms usually have outer layers that essentially shield them from extensive damage. Mucus too can prevent extensive damage as it blocks the peroxide from directly contacting flesh, or at least limits the extent of the damage.

So long story short, we're exploiting general natural resistances of favorable organisms and lack thereof of less favorable organisms.
Can it damage the existing good bacteria in my tank if it dose 1ml per 10 gal. I'm battling dino right now for 2 months and want to try this method to help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can it damage the existing good bacteria in my tank if it dose 1ml per 10 gal. I'm battling dino right now for 2 months and want to try this method to help.
I would say 'no' - but it depends on what's in your tank. If it's a bare tank with just Dinos (a hypothetical example) - the H2O2 could 'damage'/slow down the Dinos. If it's a bare tank with only a filter (without carbon) - some of the bacteria may be damaged - probably not significantly.

Here is a nice article by @Jay Hemdal on H2O2 that might help:

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 'no' - but it depends on what's in your tank. If it's a bare tank with just Dinos (a hypothetical example) - the H2O2 could 'damage'/slow down the Dinos. If it's a bare tank with only a filter (without carbon) - some of the bacteria may be damaged - probably not significantly.

Here is a nice article by @Jay Hemdal on H2O2 that might help:

Thanks for the read. I have a 8 month old tank with 5-6 soft coral and filter with carbon to remove the toxins from Dino.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a scientist and only have anecdotal evidence, but my experience is that when I dose peroxide into my QT I get dinos; every time. When I stop, the dinos go away. This usually coincides with the lights being on or off so I assume the lights are what cause the dinos to grow, but I don't observe this affect in the display tank so I've long assumed that the peroxide is helping the dinos by killing things in the relatively sterile QT that would out compete them. The peroxide has no effect on the dinos themselves.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the read. I have a 8 month old tank with 5-6 soft coral and filter with carbon to remove the toxins from Dino.
Like @blecki said there is no quick answer

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The research I've seen suggests, if anything, it helps good bacteria flourish (because it kills their competition). I don't know what the exact tipping point is, but I've seen ridiculously high doses not do anything to the beneficial bacteria in aquaria.

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done several in tank H202 treatments to battle Derbesia over the years and managed to take a 2 year old tank that was cycled with true live ocean rock and turn it into a beneficial bacteria desert. I’ve confirmed the lack of good bacteria and bacterial families with recent Aquabiomics testing, and although I can’t say for sure it was the peroxide. I simply will never do another in tank treatment to avoid potentially repeating my issues.

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The research I've seen suggests, if anything, it helps good bacteria flourish (because it kills their competition). I don't know what the exact tipping point is, but I've seen ridiculously high doses not do anything to the beneficial bacteria in aquaria.
And how was that actually proven other then anecdotal observations?

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how was that actually proven other then anecdotal observations?
I don't recall providing any anecdotes, just a note that it has been observed in research, something you can find with some basic searching.
https://journals.asm.org/doi/full/10.1128/msystems.00181-19

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall providing any anecdotes,
"I've seen ridiculously high doses not do anything to the beneficial bacteria in aquaria"......

just a note that it has been observed in research, something you can find with some basic searching.
https://journals.asm.org/doi/full/10.1128/msystems.00181-19
So your "research" on the use of oxidizing agents in the home reef aquarium and the potential impact on beneficial bacteria comes from articles written on nitrification of man made wetland areas and the attempt to sterilize water in fish processing plants? The fourth article referenced above is locked and is only an abstract, but I assume you either purchased this document or had full accesses to it during your "research". Either way, I only skimmed these articles for a few minuets each, but can you please explain to me how your third article is used to support your argument here? "This study indicated that H2O2 is the most effective biocide to prevent biofilm formation in seawater distribution networks and could potentially be used as an alternative or supplementary disinfectant of seawater" (Shikongo-Nambabi et al., 2021).

The second article, a lot like the first article, seem to be referencing the impact on AOA, and even this article seems to suggest that increased exposers to H202 can halt or kill these bacteria." However, in marine surface waters, AOA might be chronically exposed to H2O2, where its concentrations can reach up to 500 nM (24). While the ammonia oxidization activity of the marine archaeon Nitrosopumilus strain DDS1 was completely inhibited after production of ∼200 nM H2O2" (Bayer et al., 2019). In layman terms, what concentration level is this though?

Bayer, B. (2019, June 25). Proteomic Response of Three Marine Ammonia-Oxidizing Archaea to Hydrogen Peroxide and Their Metabolic Interactions with a Heterotrophic Alphaproteobacterium. https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSystems.00181-21

Shikongo-Nambabi, M., Kachigunda, B., & Venter, S. (2021, July 15). Evaluation of oxidizing disinfectants to control vibrio biofilms in treated seawater used for fish processing. Water SA. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/wsa/article/view/210680

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that claims to selectively kill bad bacteria and leave beneficial bacteria unharmed is highly suspect, IMO, not to mention incredibly vague since good or bad may be in the eyes of the beholder.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's 500 or so peroxide jobs. no mistakes

and, it's all anecdote. but with perfect control of losses if directions are followed

and zero tank recycles

and no loss of filter bacteria.

so if a reefer wanted to do a peroxide job and know the % likelihood outcome ahead of time, would it be best to consult actual jobs ran, or some article with zero jobs ran for others/

in the case of peroxide in reefing, anecdote wins by a landslide because anecdote controls all those reefs and the future ones who want work done.

you don't have to worry about loss of filtration bacteria with normal peroxide use, #1 takeaway rule. try dosing peroxide into a fully cycled display reef hooked up to a seneye and you'll see some neat results; instant boost of nitrification rates.

I think it's because oxidizers like the extra 02 boost, not that peroxide does much to bacteria housed in a bioscum sheath.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything that claims to selectively kill bad bacteria and leave beneficial bacteria unharmed is highly suspect, IMO, not to mention incredibly vague since good or bad may be in the eyes of the beholder.
Generally speaking - agreed. However, some bacteria contain high levels of superoxide dismutase and catalase which would greatly diminish the killing ability of H2O2 as compared to bacteria that do not. That said Ammonia oxidizers contain relatively small amounts of catalase - though some strains contain fair amounts. https://academic.oup.com/femsec/article/38/1/53/539387

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it before and screwed up big time but even still I’m currently dosing one tank that had a ich outbreak but will likley stop in a month or so…
Its fine for spot treating stubborn algae, just not sure I’d permanently commit a entire dosing head for it….

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sum takeaway of that thread: if you do peroxide for algae by dumping it in your tank, it's not going to work long term unless you get lucky. more precise means are needed then it becomes one of the handiest algae tools I've ever seen. those were the rough shod work years in development above.

leaving filthy sand underneath and algae prone tank is a big mistake peroxide has nothing to do with, enter rip cleaning as a paired and highly effective means of algae control/removing filthy waste clouded stores of algae fuel matters more than the peroxide for the future prognosis for the tank...that and light intensity control, one of the largest causes of algae issues in the hobby: again having nothing to do with peroxide, your guessed at nitrate or po4 levels etc. with clean sand, corrected lighting, and targeted surgical application of peroxide we can go really far nowadays. we dump nothing into your tank.

I don't recommend dumping it in the tank not due to danger, but because much better ways of using it are on file. that above shows the general safety involved with dumping in one mil per ten gallons into a reef tank. Jay's article was not built from reef tanks; hence his claim of worry for the filter bacteria. context matters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back