Is there a Pygmy clownfish?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels really need much bigger tanks than what most people think. They are definitely not a nano fish. I also think having two of the same type of damsels and sticking with chrysiptera sp only makes a huge difference in the aggression towards other tank mates. With two they mainly worry about each other and ignore other fish.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just said my dreaded words of removing all the rock lol, i REALLY wasn't thinking when i unleashed him...
i might try some fishing first haha!

I’ve actually used micro hooks to catch quite a few fish out of my tank when upgrading. Works extremely well. These books are so small they are almost impossible to even see.

02372E37-A005-442E-A7CB-B76939F0B4C5.png

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just said my dreaded words of removing all the rock lol, i REALLY wasn't thinking when i unleashed him...
i might try some fishing first haha!
I also tried removing the damsel and didn’t want to pull all the rocks out. I could never catch it. That’s why I had to get the clowns. Much easier fish to catch.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown in a 10g ?! No way. You need at least a 30 for a single, bigger if a pair imo.
I’ve seen clowns in tiny tanks before. They don’t need much room to swim as they typically don’t leave their area.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to contact Sustainable Aquatics. They do have certain clowns known as stubby. They have extremely healthy clowns.

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to contact Sustainable Aquatics. They do have certain clowns known as stubby. They have extremely healthy clowns.

i want a tiny clown that is also designer but i guess i can't have it all, now can i!? lol! Good news is that stubbies exist! i'll check them out..

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown in a 10g ?! No way. You need at least a 30 for a single, bigger if a pair imo.

yes i agree hence my search for the existence of pygmy clowns! I would think a single or even smaller pair can be happy in a 15 with anemones... the pair stick side by side so its not like they would each need 20 gallons to themselves?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen clowns in tiny tanks before. They don’t need much room to swim as they typically don’t leave their area.
Just because they have their territory doesn’t mean they should have a tiny tank the size of a normal clowns territory. When I had a clown his territory was a 3rd of my 90gallon. They like to swim a bit when they have the option to. 10 gals are pretty much limited to small gobies, blennys, inverts.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i want a tiny clown that is also designer but i guess i can't have it all, now can i!? lol! Good news is that stubbies exist! i'll check them out..
You might be able to have it all.

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because they have their territory doesn’t mean they should have a tiny tank the size of a normal clowns territory. When I had a clown his territory was a 3rd of my 90gallon. They like to swim a bit when they have the option to. 10 gals are pretty much limited to small gobies, blennys, inverts.

agreed! my other clown didn't leave a 5 gallon perimeter EVER in 3 years, same with my maroon, just stayed where the nem was... but yes my 10 is a bit small. I was actually going for reef only with no fish! then i ended up baby sitting the damsel and was given the tailspot. I thought maybe a pygmy type clown would enjoy my massive nem but maybe not after all... i'll do more research on the stubby clowns that everyone mentioned

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed! my other clown didn't leave a 5 gallon perimeter EVER in 3 years, same with my maroon, just stayed where the nem was... but yes my 10 is a bit small. I was actually going for reef only with no fish! then i ended up baby sitting the damsel and was given the tailspot. I thought maybe a pygmy type clown would enjoy my massive nem but maybe not after all... i'll do more research on the stubby clowns that everyone mentioned
Do you have a pic of your tank and the nem? I’m curious now.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get a juvenile and let it grow some in that tank. You will know when the tank becomes too small. They will become territorial and seem more grumpy than usual. Then upgrade to a 40 breeder or something along those lines. :) This isn’t always recommended but you seem determined, lol. Maybe keep a casual eye out for a used biocube 32. People give them away for free where I live. That’s a good footprint for clowns imo.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get a juvenile and let it grow some in that tank. You will know when the tank becomes too small. They will become territorial and seem more grumpy than usual. Then upgrade to a 40 breeder or something along those lines. :)
I think that’s what most people do anyway. Upgrade to a bigger tank. I’ve never kept something like 10g but I’d definitively be out buying a bigger tank in no time.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s what most people do anyway. Upgrade to a bigger tank. I’ve never kept something like 10g but I’d definitively be out buying a bigger tank in no time.
Yeah. As long as they actually upgrade lol.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. As long as they actually upgrade lol.
A small tank really limits growth and what you can stock. I’m sure at some point it gets frustrating and you’re forced to empty your pockets on something bigger.

OP
OP
Zan's Aquatica

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get a juvenile and let it grow some in that tank. You will know when the tank becomes too small. They will become territorial and seem more grumpy than usual. Then upgrade to a 40 breeder or something along those lines. :) This isn’t always recommended but you seem determined, lol. Maybe keep a casual eye out for a used biocube 32. People give them away for free where I live. That’s a good footprint for clowns imo.

no, i really don't like moving them around and rehoming and what not, i'd rather bring home a fish (if any at all) that will thrive in a little tank. I don't feel determined at all... i've seen them in the wild, all fish swim hundreds of feet within minutes and are having the time of their lives. i'm just having a fun time chatting, discovering species, and hearing stories :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back