Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I ordered new fish from a reputable online vendor of whom I wont mention. I really wanted a black storm clown and this is what I got. I don't think this is a black storm. Unfortunately they don't do WYSIWYG. Is this a black storm? I was expecting it to be black and white only. My fish is white, black & orange. All his fins are orange inside and all the black spots have bright orange inside.
my blk storm 01.jpg

my blk storm 02.jpg

120415794_3596659850425652_4745744414024110088_n.jpg

I got in touch with the vendor right away to let them know but the rep is insisting it's a black storm. Their logic is that it came from their black storm tank and sent me a photo of their tank. Followed by "We will contact our supplier to confirm". The supplier also replied and is telling us that it will turn black over the next few weeks.

Photo of the vendors tank:
MVIMG_20200930_105745.jpg

I was expecting something more like this (you know, white and black only):
black storm 01.jpg

ora-black-storm.jpg

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHy not look up juvenile black storm clowns? I can tell you the colors on my clowns changed a bit from juv to wherever they are now...Mainly darker. But I don't have black storms so I don't know what these would do.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Honestly, your fish looks like a mocha storm instead of black storm. I don't know why the vendor is saying that is a black storm. Maybe, it changes color when it gets bigger

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, your fish looks like a mocha storm instead of black storm. I don't know why the vendor is saying that is a black storm. Maybe, it changes color when it gets bigger
That's exactly what I told them, this looks more like a mocha storm. I don't want a mocha storm due to aggression and my heart was set on a black. ++ the fact that black storm cost a pretty penny

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHy not look up juvenile black storm clowns? I can tell you the colors on my clowns changed a bit from juv to wherever they are now...Mainly darker. But I don't have black storms so I don't know what these would do.
I DID and they don't look like mine.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard call but unfortunately you can't really call out the vendor because technically they can use the color change maturing excuse as noted above. So by the time it matures you will be outside of any type of return policy. All you can really do is enjoy your new fish and hope for the best. I think the best way to buy a fish is going to a boutique LFS. You see it in person, the person scooping your fish is the owner, etc. I think these overpriced websites are deceiving and unpredictable. The best LFS's do not ship and are much cheaper.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard call but unfortunately you can't really call out the vendor because technically they can use the color change maturing excuse as noted above. So by the time it matures you will be outside of any type of return policy. All you can really do is enjoy your new fish and hope for the best. I think the best way to buy a fish is going to a boutique LFS. You see it in person, the person scooping your fish is the owner, etc. I think these overpriced websites are deceiving and unpredictable. The best LFS's do not ship and are much cheaper.

My intent is not to call out the vendor. I just wanted to be sure I'm not insane. Also, I can't agree with you there. When you purchase something you expect to get what you paid for. I can tell the difference between a juvenile black storm and a juvenile mocha just by photos.

I also wen't to the suppliers website to check their photos and their description and what I was sent does not match. I understand a brownish tint will mutate to a dark brown but a clear & very bright orange will not mutate to black. Also, I got this pre-QT so it was even more $

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent is not to call out the vendor. I just wanted to be sure I'm not insane. Also, I can't agree with you there. When you purchase something you expect to get what you paid for. I can tell the difference between a juvenile black storm and a juvenile mocha just by photos.

I also wen't to the suppliers website to check their photos and their description and what I was sent does not match. I understand a brownish tint will mutate to a dark brown but a clear & very bright orange will not mutate to black. Also, I got this pre-QT so it was even more $

Why are you posting this if you already know its a mocha storm? You made a risky online purchase. That's how it works. Carpe Diem. You don't want to call out vendor, you just want to be coddled. Now you're stuck with whatever it is.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you posting this if you already know its a mocha storm? You made a risky online purchase. That's how it works. Carpe Diem. You don't want to call out vendor, you just want to be coddled. Now you're stuck with whatever it is.
I did not come here for a fight you are misconstruing my words and the point of this thread. I came to double check with the expert community on the species of fish.

That's not how it works. You're suppose to get what you pay for.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows. Even Darwin clowns are basically orange when they metamorphose.

My mochas are almost completely black now, and they were bright orange in a lot of places when I got them.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I told them, this looks more like a mocha storm. I don't want a mocha storm due to aggression and my heart was set on a black. ++ the fact that black storm cost a pretty penny
Where did you hear that? Mocha and Black storm clownfish are the exact same fish, no differences other than the intensity of the black. I have no idea in Hades why a Mocha would be more aggressive.
Personally, I think it looks just like an orange storm or Mocha, definitely not a black as at that size they would be at least dark brown already.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I ordered new fish from a reputable online vendor of whom I wont mention. I really wanted a black storm clown and this is what I got. I don't think this is a black storm. Unfortunately they don't do WYSIWYG. Is this a black storm? I was expecting it to be black and white only. My fish is white, black & orange. All his fins are orange inside and all the black spots have bright orange inside.
my blk storm 01.jpg

my blk storm 02.jpg

120415794_3596659850425652_4745744414024110088_n.jpg

I got in touch with the vendor right away to let them know but the rep is insisting it's a black storm. Their logic is that it came from their black storm tank and sent me a photo of their tank. Followed by "We will contact our supplier to confirm". The supplier also replied and is telling us that it will turn black over the next few weeks.

Photo of the vendors tank:
MVIMG_20200930_105745.jpg

I was expecting something more like this (you know, white and black only):
black storm 01.jpg

ora-black-storm.jpg

his orange colorations very well may turn black as he grows out. Happens more often than not.

Dont give up yet.

Was it an ORA Black storm?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not come here for a fight you are misconstruing my words and the point of this thread. I came to double check with the expert community on the species of fish.

That's not how it works. You're suppose to get what you pay for.

Then return it and if they won't take it charge back your credit card and let your bank fight them. You already know it's a mocha storm by pictures as you said above. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you hear that? Mocha and Black storm clownfish are the exact same fish, no differences other than the intensity of the black. I have no idea in Hades why a Mocha would be more aggressive.
Personally, I think it looks just like an orange storm or Mocha, definitely not a black as at that size they would be at least dark brown already.
Then I may be mistaken about the aggression aspect of it. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back