terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how this thread so long already over a mocha clown XD

Look:

YOUR CLOWN (Btw the photos you took really don't help man haha)
Black Storm.jpg

BLACK STORM:
black.jpg

MOCHA STORM:

Mocha.jpg

IMO the colorations on your black snow are a little darker.

I think give it 2 months and you'll be happy.

Also the eye is black vs orange.

IME Black storms normally, (NORMALLY) have the black eye vs the orange eye of mocha

again your photos don't help much.

Also he may not becomes a TRUE TRUE black, could be a lower "quality" black storm, just like in coral, coloration may vary slightly.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how this thread so long already over a mocha clown XD

Look:

YOUR CLOWN (Btw the photos you took really don't help man haha)
Black Storm.jpg

BLACK STORM:
black.jpg

MOCHA STORM:

Mocha.jpg

IMO the colorations on your black snow are a little darker.

I think give it 2 months and you'll be happy.

Also the eye is black vs orange.

IME Black storms normally, (NORMALLY) have the black eye vs the orange eye of mocha

again your photos don't help much.

Also he may not becomes a TRUE TRUE black, could be a lower "quality" black storm, just like in coral, coloration may vary slightly.

Thanks for the feedback! Its hard to snap a good shot since it won't sit still lol. I'm trying to figure out what it is according to the sea and reef photos as well.

This is their black storm photo:
s&r_new_black&white_clownfish.jpg

and their black storm juvenile photo:
SR_New_group (1).jpg

I will try to take a better shot to show the full orange but I'm hoping It turns out to be a true black and as you say be happy in 2 months.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a risky online purchase. That's how it works.
Lol, unless they bought from eBay or a similarly sketchy marketplace, that's not how it works. Online vendors should be supplying customers with what they ordered or making it right if not. LFS' are on the decline. Online fish stores are not...

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! Its hard to snap a good shot since it won't sit still lol. I'm trying to figure out what it is according to the sea and reef photos as well.

This is their black storm photo:
s&r_new_black&white_clownfish.jpg

and their black storm juvenile photo:
SR_New_group (1).jpg

I will try to take a better shot to show the full orange but I'm hoping It turns out to be a true black and as you say be happy in 2 months.

You should research if color enhancing pellets or flakes will make him blacker or oranger. (i know more black/orange is the proper grammer)

I think it'd be blacker? but I think some of the foods are "red" enhancers.

idk... could help... just random idea while i'm responding.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should research if color enhancing pellets or flakes will make him blacker or oranger. (i know more black/orange is the proper grammer)

I think it'd be blacker? but I think some of the foods are "red" enhancers.

idk... could help... just random idea while i'm responding.

LOL i think the proper grammar is more black but I'm a college drop out so don't take my word!

I'll just wait it out. I got a confirmation from the vendor that if in 2 months it turns out to be anything but a black storm they will work with me to correct it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be nice if you posted the size - it looks really small - I dont know - how you can decide at this stage - except - If you google pictures of black storm clown fish juvenile - you can see huge variation in coloration. So - I voted 'yes'. Frankly - I am not sure I think selling all of these clowns with 'names' is correct - they are just color variations of the same fish - so - lets say the parents of this fish were 'black storm clowns' - then the babies are 'black storm clowns'. But - due to genetics - a certain percentage of them could have more or less orange - from what I understand.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - another point - and I have no clue if clowns are this way - but - with discus - if you put them in a certain light/background - they will gain/lose black spots on their skin - as well as the lighting. Perhaps this is the case?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i may respectfully chime in here, a LFS in whom i have a high level of trust, advised me that black storm juveniles are predominantly orange and then the color changes to black. they had some in the store, and i also questioned the orange hues.

liveaquaria also mentions this: While juveniles, the Black Storm Clownfish has dark orange coloration of the spots in between the white pattern. As the Black Storm Clownfish matures its dark orange color transitions to jet black creating a stunning contrast of pattern.

(https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6879/?pcatid=6879)

HTH

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant speak of black storms, but standard black and white clowns mature black but Start out much more orange. The same can be said for mocha clowns and onyx clowns. Most dark colored clowns start off lighter colored and Darren with age.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, my clowns look very similar to how they did when they were babies. My extreme snowflake developed a dirty tail but that’s about it, they were just as orange at 1/2” as they are right now at about 2 1/2”. That looks like a mocha storm, I’d definitely stay in contact with the vendor because black storms are super freakin expensive!! If you pay for a black storm, that’s what you should get.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Ocellaris start out as orange, only mature Black Ocellaris turn black. Your clowns looks like it will turn back but it will be months instead of weeks. Some of them will turn black quicker than other but turn black they will. A year from now you fish will be black and white.
Please give it some time.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i may respectfully chime in here, a LFS in whom i have a high level of trust, advised me that black storm juveniles are predominantly orange and then the color changes to black. they had some in the store, and i also questioned the orange hues.

liveaquaria also mentions this: While juveniles, the Black Storm Clownfish has dark orange coloration of the spots in between the white pattern. As the Black Storm Clownfish matures its dark orange color transitions to jet black creating a stunning contrast of pattern.

(https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6879/?pcatid=6879)

HTH
WOW! $180 for a Black Storm Clownfish, WOW!

reefproaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is from Sea and Reef have you tried emailing them to see what they think? If anyone can say for sure it should be them.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at some posted on Ebay. They look Mocha as well. So I'd say they'll get dark as they mature.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I ordered new fish from a reputable online vendor of whom I wont mention. I really wanted a black storm clown and this is what I got. I don't think this is a black storm. Unfortunately they don't do WYSIWYG. Is this a black storm? I was expecting it to be black and white only. My fish is white, black & orange. All his fins are orange inside and all the black spots have bright orange inside.
my blk storm 01.jpg

my blk storm 02.jpg

120415794_3596659850425652_4745744414024110088_n.jpg

I got in touch with the vendor right away to let them know but the rep is insisting it's a black storm. Their logic is that it came from their black storm tank and sent me a photo of their tank. Followed by "We will contact our supplier to confirm". The supplier also replied and is telling us that it will turn black over the next few weeks.

Photo of the vendors tank:
MVIMG_20200930_105745.jpg

I was expecting something more like this (you know, white and black only):
black storm 01.jpg

ora-black-storm.jpg
We bought ours from this site

They state juveniles might have orange that will fade.

Edit: same as dimik, op photo, since same aquaculture facility.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually black storms can be sorted out from orange/mocha storms at a young age.

Also most places that produce these clowns have them grown out with similar color variations all black ocel variants together (black ice, black storms, black knight, black/white clown) and all orange variants together (ocel, snowflake, gladiators, orange storms). So I’d say hopefully he will turn into a black storm over time but it is also possible that there was a mixup and an orange/mocha storm got into the black storm growout tanks.

I think you have a mocha storm on tour hands although you pic is a little blurry

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started almost identical to that and did not change much in color over time (DEVELOPED A SLIGHT BLUE SHIMMER IN THE WHITE AREAS)it's about a year and a half old now iv had it 8 months

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back