Is this a good light for soft coral?

Grayscale

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2025
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Location
Stockton, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0



(This connects to the first post I made on reviving my dad’s old tank)

Hello saltwater hobbyists,
Coming from my other post on this community, me and my dad found his old, but new led light lying around. It seems to have 165w, but that’s really it, I couldn’t find its full model and what not. The tank I’m recovering is a Red Sea Max 130D from a while back, and when i do fully set up the tank, I will add soft coral like GSP, pulsating Xenia, and zoas. Although a little early to be asking about light while cleaning up the tank, i’m sure it’s fine.
Posted on reddit by my user of, “Flat-Echidna-2245” on the community “r-reeftank”
 
The light btw (I don't think the images uploaded?)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 40
Looks like a typical blackbox style light. Typically just white and blue spectrum. I forget the brands typically involved in that light but they’re good for pretty much any coral just your controlability is limited to the dials on top there.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new