Is this a mushroom? Anemone? Help?

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I think this was a “free” coral from one of the online places I purchased coral from. And I honestly dont know what it is. It looks like a mushroom, but it’s got these little tentacle looking things that my carpet anemone has?

68806C04-299D-4EAE-97E5-7C4895C2170B.jpeg
This guy is supposed to be the carpet anemone, I think.

69024D5D-851F-4AEE-811F-7CA95E836D01.jpeg
And this is the little guy in question.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re called maxi-mini carpet anemones. I love them!

The one in question looks like a mushroom to me. A bit hard to tell with its shape and how blue the picture is though. Can you get any daylight shots of it?

OP
OP
Cajun_Reefer

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even better is if you can get a picture of the oral disk.
So... it came glued to a frag plug. Which, now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't it be weird if an anemone came glued to something??

But here's what else I was thinking.

Apparently, the place I got these corals from ... I just read a few reviews about how 95% of the employees don't really know what they're doing besides the packaging, marketing, selling aspect... and that it's just one guy who is really into the hobby/knows what he's doing.

Is it possible to glue an anemone down to something, anyway!? ;Nailbiting

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... it came glued to a frag plug. Which, now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't it be weird if an anemone came glued to something??

But here's what else I was thinking.

Apparently, the place I got these corals from ... I just read a few reviews about how 95% of the employees don't really know what they're doing besides the packaging, marketing, selling aspect... and that it's just one guy who is really into the hobby/knows what he's doing.

Is it possible to glue an anemone down to something, anyway!? ;Nailbiting
I'll say that sums up a majority of aquatic stores. I have never heard of gluing an anemone. Their usually sticky enough on their own, especially their foot. Can you see any damage to the foot?

OP
OP
Cajun_Reefer

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say that sums up a majority of aquatic stores. I have never heard of gluing an anemone. Their usually sticky enough on their own, especially their foot. Can you see any damage to the foot?
I honestly haven't looked yet. I plan on doing a water change tomorrow and that's when I was gonna take it out of the tank and inspect it. I can update tomorrow on what it looks like on the plug!

OP
OP
Cajun_Reefer

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ake it all the way out. And maybe wait a bit. If the issue is stress we would just be adding more.
Gotcha! Maybe I should wait til' my husband is free that way he can take a pic of it while I've got it still in the water, but out of the sand bed.

It doesn't look stressed to me, I just noticed those little tentacle things coming out from the bottom and was like, "Wait a minute...." lol!

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best answer yet. Just let it be and enjoy it. Maybe an easy test would be to see if it's sticky. Try spot feeding it some food and see if it sticks. You should also see it then move to the mouth in the middle. Not scientific but it might shine a little more light on your mysterious sea creature.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back