Is this Brown Jelly - URGENT HELP NEEDED

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Need your urgent help please.
Bought this Hammer Coral yesterday from local LFS. It barely opened and now it is looking like the attached pics. Is the Brown Jelly?
If so should i take it out immediately and throw it out?
Do i need to do anything to the other torch next to it?
Thank you fir your urgent attention.

473F4157-A768-4020-8D3B-5CD4736F0AF7.jpeg E38E8125-3B64-4498-890B-2D2B6093701F.jpeg 719849CB-2019-4AF0-9E3B-F24552A279FB.jpeg 8285C9B4-5070-4976-BAAC-95B712F28571.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like tissue receding. Try dipping in peroxide and return to tank under moderate flow. Reduce whites a little and increase blue spectrum for a couple if weeks. Once reopened, give it a Light feeding

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its brown jelly, but what boggles me is how it jellyed up in 1 day like that. Did the piece look damaged before you put it in? Did it sustain any damage?
No. I am a newbie. But the piece looked fine. I threw it out. Should i do something to the tank so that it doesnt spread to anything else? I only hVe one other Euphyllia in the tank.

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tissue receding. Try dipping in peroxide and return to tank under moderate flow. Reduce whites a little and increase blue spectrum for a couple if weeks. Once reopened, give it a Light feeding
Woops I threw it out already.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No. I am a newbie. But the piece looked fine. I threw it out. Should i do something to the tank so that it doesnt spread to anything else? I only hVe one other Euphyllia in the tank.
I think your fine, how does the other one look? Can you provide a photo if possible

If it stripped that quick but you have another euphyllia that's healthy, I doubt it was your water quality. For something to strip that quickly is odd, might've been a piece that was on it's way out

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to a microscope, look at the brown jelly under about 80x magnification. This is what it looks like:

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brown jelly to me. If you have a bandsaw or a friend that has one, you can cut the bad side of the coral with it and the remaining heads should be alright. If you dont, try using a regular saw, just be careful. I've saved some LPS's this way.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its brown jelly, but what boggles me is how it jellyed up in 1 day like that. Did the piece look damaged before you put it in? Did it sustain any damage?

I have had corals that looked perfectly happy and healthy in the morning when I left for work only to come home in the evening to find them completely retracted and covered with brown jelly. To date I have never been able to save a coral once it gets this. So now I cut water flow and pull the coral out as carefully as possible and if I can cut the infected polyp off to save the rest of the colony. After cutting the colony gets an iodine dip and back into the tank in a shaded spot for a few days.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD
I just threw out 3-4 heads of duncans last night. Came from nowhere, cut two heads off less than a week ago and the good looking ones starting getting brown jelly again yesterday, so I chucked em. Sorry to see you had to do that.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pretty scary stuff guys, during my time back in reefkeeping, I never had to deal with lps brown jelly. So I'm not very educated with the experience of it other then I would've chucked it also. The torch next to it looks fine, just have to look for signs of recieding flesh at the skeleton
The plug looks very clean. I'm betting it was a fresh frag and got crushed on that side somehow.
Agree, was thinking the same.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back