is this clam normal?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I impulse-bought three clams that were on ice from Wholefoods. One of them has started to open up, but noe that it has... I just realized I don't actually know what I should be seeing. XD

So, gonna ask you guys. Does this clam look, er, 'good'?

What's the thing coming out of the clam, top left of the pic?

Thanks y'alls!

20210415_172716.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are filter feeder calms from temperate ocean. They will died in our tank due to not enough food for them to filter and the temp of the reef tank is too hot for them. I think it best for you just take them and make clam chowder with them.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don't know if these are the clams you meant to buy, these ones will most likely die in your tank. You should probably stick to the ones from aquarium stores, or trusted people who have aquariums.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a drip or a dosing pump to provide continuous phyto and small foods.

I Have a dosing system set up to deliver 10 mL every hour of a mixture of phytoplankton and Rotifers and oyster eggs and about half a dozen different liquid and powder to plankton foods ranging from 1 µm to 200 µm. I have a lot of different types of bivalves that are doing well With a constant food source like this. Of course they probably don’t utilize all of it: rotifers for example are too large for filter feeders as far as I’m aware, but the corals eat what the filter feeders don’t!

Hint: Get a laboratory magnetic stirrer from Amazon and use that to keep the dosing container of mixed So that the food and phyto doesn’t settle to the bottom of the container. Or a small USB power DC pump works also.

You’ll be amazed at your Aquarium when you do this though: I have live zooplankton in my aquariums Because of the constant food in suspension, it’s super fun to watch with a flashlight at night!

I buy Phytoplankton oyster eggs and rotifers from Reef Nutrition.

edit: I don’t use a protein skimmer or mechanical filtration either so that the food remains in suspension constantly

PS. @OrionN you made me laugh!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back