Is this cleaner shrimp molting or dying?

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this cleaner shrimp about a week ago, and it's in my 10g coral QT tank that's been running for over a month. I added some red ogo to the fuge and a little nitrifying bacteria a day or two before adding him. Seemed fine until I went down to feed and do maintenance this morning. He's already molted once since I got him, so it seems weird it would happen again already. I've never had one, so maybe this behavior is totally normal? Here are my parameters:

78°
Salinity 1.027
pH 8.2
dKH 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (that's never happened! Red ogo?)

There are 13 paly & zoa frags and a clownfish in the tank that all seem just fine. I feed daily.

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this cleaner shrimp about a week ago, and it's in my 10g coral QT tank that's been running for over a month. I added some red ogo to the fuge and a little nitrifying bacteria a day or two before adding him. Seemed fine until I went down to feed and do maintenance this morning. He's already molted once since I got him, so it seems weird it would happen again already. I've never had one, so maybe this behavior is totally normal? Here are my parameters:

78°
Salinity 1.027
pH 8.2
dKH 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (that's never happened! Red ogo?)

There are 13 paly & zoa frags and a clownfish in the tank that all seem just fine. I feed daily.
Video attached. Apologies for my weird and intrusive cat.

Attachments

• PXL_20211117_171355036.mp4
    75.1 MB

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
the 0 nitrate could be the ogo. they are not tolerant to copper. so if your QT tank has copper in it, this could be affecting it. otherwise this could may well be it molting.

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 0 nitrate could be the ogo. they are not tolerant to copper. so if your QT tank has copper in it, this could be affecting it. otherwise this could may well be it molting.
Thanks. Nothing with copper, but I did dip the frags in Seachem Reef Dip four days ago. Rinsed them off in tank water before putting them back in the QT tank. Could whatever traces of that made it into the tank be causing this issue days later? Any suggested course of action? Trying not to go all mad scientist here.
Mine molted three times in succession week after week when I first got it. Everything is probably fine.
Here's hoping!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be dying to me.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks. Nothing with copper, but I did dip the frags in Seachem Reef Dip four days ago. Rinsed them off in tank water before putting them back in the QT tank. Could whatever traces of that made it into the tank be causing this issue days later? Any suggested course of action? Trying not to go all mad scientist here.

Here's hoping!
could be the low nitrates or perhaps bad batch, IMHO. maybe you got unlucky with this guy..

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came back to say that the poor little guy is still hanging in there... four days later? Definitely perks up when I drop food in the tank, but still isn't upright.

If this is a bad molt, can I help shake it loose? Or is this just a slow but certain death?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came back to say that the poor little guy is still hanging in there... four days later? Definitely perks up when I drop food in the tank, but still isn't upright.

If this is a bad molt, can I help shake it loose? Or is this just a slow but certain death?
It will swim faster than you could imagine if you try to net it. So try. If it swims away quickly it may shake the old exoskeleton off. If it doesn't, it's probably dying and you may want to start making arrangements. :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back