Is this cyano??

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for cyano. LOL. What would you recommend?? After 2 days lights out it is mostly gone for now, but I think if I turn the lights back on it is possible to return. My plan of action is cleaning the sand bed first then a water change.
You don't happen to have a microscope shot by chance do you Cory? Or have access to one?

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I will see if I can find one. I do know that I have some free floating that I could easily grab, and shoot.

Arthur Jen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are dinos..how is the water flow in your tank doing? Sometimes the magnesium takes a role in this when dinos are presented

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning toward dinos.
However, I would like to mention that I have had this before that grows for a short time when large sps colonies bleach out and die. It appears that in your original post that is what I am seeing. IME, it left shortly after once water parameters got realigned.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are dinos..how is the water flow in your tank doing? Sometimes the magnesium takes a role in this when dinos are presented
I actually have a ton of flow. I am guessing about 7000 GPH in a shallow 140 give or take a few. Its hard to get a lot of flow in a shallow tank. Should I raise magnesium??

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning toward dinos.
However, I would like to mention that I have had this before that grows for a short time when large sps colonies bleach out and die. It appears that in your original post that is what I am seeing. IME, it left shortly after once water parameters got realigned.
I have no large colonies only frags and small colonies. All seem ok at the moment, I am just worried if I don't get this gone they will struggle.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u tested the magnesium level yet?
It was a little low a few weeks ago with my test kit, but it was out of date. I have one on the way that should arrive today. Dosing 2 part, and all 3 containers are almost equal so im thinking I will be pretty close with new test.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need a microscope.
Treatment will be the same.
Forgive me for quoting myself , tired thumbs today.

Here's the deal.
There a couple threads about million pages long on this.

The the current consensus (and actually always has been) is nutrient limitation can lead to the proliferation of certain organisms. They can then establish an Dominnce in the tank by leveraging conditions in the biosphere to tap resources that then out compete other more Benicial microfloura and fauna.

So without a microscope and a phd , what you can do is to increase nutrients and introduce other more beneficial and diverse organisms in to the sphere to-out compete the nusance organism. This is usually combined with manual removal or killing of the organism.
This is the basis of most dino treatments in fact. Although it may currently not be recognized as such.

Yes, it's a tiny bit counter intuitive , I have alge So feed more. And yes you may experience a slight bloom , but the introduction of a competitor is a very important step imo to combat this.

For years with typical cyanos , I've said remove as much as you can , do water changes , and add bottled bacterias. Current is reccomend DT tims one and only as it has several strains. The next step up from there and is Micofauna treatments , aged live rock, garf grunge , Fiji mud. The mud is the least expensive of those. GArf grunge is
the coolest cuz you can order corals from Sally Joe while you are at it.
Jus sayin , a GArf bonsai from GArf.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
For sure not cyanobacteria
Now when we talk dinoflagellates there are many species. H2O2 will have little effect on many of them.
Todd!! How are you man? Missed you a rapid here , I hope it's been good for you.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vibrant and it cleared up dinos in a few days then I had a huge cyano bloom. Stopped the vibrant, did a big water change heavily cleaning the sand and filters. Cyano cleared up almost over night. 4 days later and my tank looks the best it ever has.

I also started dosing phyto and seeded copepods before the cleanup so that may have helped.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vibrant and it cleared up dinos in a few days then I had a huge cyano bloom. Stopped the vibrant, did a big water change heavily cleaning the sand and filters. Cyano cleared up almost over night. 4 days later and my tank looks the best it ever has.

I also started dosing phyto and seeded copepods before the cleanup so that may have helped.
Vibrant has a potent carbon dose to it, that and the die of will cause a cyano bloom. Well done.

Use care, in some cases , some Dino's seem to be spurred by vibrant.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant has a potent carbon dose to it, that and the die of will cause a cyano bloom. Well done.

Use care, in some cases , some Dino's seem to be spurred by vibrant.
I'm hoping the heavy biodiversity seeding will help. We'll see.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another picture. Still haven't gotten a microscope yet.
20171210_115948.jpg
20171210_120006.jpg
20171210_120014.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like my sand which has Amphidinium dinos going on. A UV sterilizer won't do anything to help with them if that's what they are. They don't readily enter the water column like Ostreopsis.

Raising phosphates is supposed to help but that hasn't been the case for me so far.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my sand which has Amphidinium dinos going on. A UV sterilizer won't do anything to help with them if that's what they are. They don't readily enter the water column like Ostreopsis.

Raising phosphates is supposed to help but that hasn't been the case for me so far.
That could possibly be my problem. Im struggling to keep nitrate and phosphate up. I plan to dose stump remover for nitrate, what would be good for phosphate, or will it come up with nitrate? Thanks. I noticed a few SPS paled out so im thinking it cant hurt

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That could possibly be my problem. Im struggling to keep nitrate and phosphate up. I plan to dose stump remover for nitrate, what would be good for phosphate, or will it come up with nitrate? Thanks. I noticed a few SPS paled out so im thinking it cant hurt
Seachem Flourish Phosphorus for phosphate. Or find food grade sodium phosphate on Amazon but you'll have to research that.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Flourish Phosphorus for phosphate. Or find food grade sodium phosphate on Amazon but you'll have to research that.
Thanks. I really don't have much algae so im thinking I need to do something. In past tanks I have battled algae so I think I have way too much for filtration on this tank. 3 marine pure blocks, about 100# pukani, elite 220 RO skimmer, and a remote deep sand bed.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider pulling one or two of those blocks or feeding a lot more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back