Is this early white spot?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterLL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PeterLL

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Messages
407
Reaction score
459
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a kamohara blenny yesterday, it seemed fine in the shop, went missing for a couple hours last night but re appeared. I wake up today and see my powerheads for surface agitation was off ( I turned it off while searching for it) and there was only a small lower down powerheads which gave 0 surface agitation. I looked for him and found him lying at the bottom of the tank gasping very heavily. I turn on the powerheads, oxygenate the water and within an hour he’s fine and swimming. I come back down tonight and see him lying on my algae scraper with whitish spots on his fins.
Do they normally rest like this? I thought they normally stay swimming.
Could this be white spot?
 
77566c088c07d8fd4ec6812671a49000.jpg
6b92fec5fefbe7ea1919704d1b1f392d.jpg
 
Breathing heavy and a few salt like white spots. Probably Ich.
 
It is Probably Cryptocaryon (what people call Ich), Is this in a quarantine or in your display?
 
Thanks guys, it’s in my display :( 200l tank and was gonna be second last fish :(
All tank bred fish so thought I was a bit safer than usual
 
Thanks guys, it’s in my display :( 200l tank and was gonna be second last fish :(
All tank bred fish so thought I was a bit safer than usual

A common thought, but if this was in with other fish at a LFS and not 100% treated and clean before going into your system it's the same risk as a wild fish. Do you have a QT? Can you get them out for treatment? What other fish are in there?
 
I don’t have a QT, but do have a spare tub and a 30l tank. I reckon I could set up.
I have 2 clowns, 2 orchids and a neon goby with it.
I feel like getting the orchids and neons would be impossible without destroying the whole tank. Would I need to get them out aswell?
 
I'd use your spare tank, you can use water from your display to set it up (new SW for water changes after setup) with a good sized air stone and PVC lengths and T's for hiding places. And yes, all fish would need to be treated. Either that, or if you have no invertebrates or corals there are other management methods you can use in your display.
 
Thank you both.
Can’t stand this hobby sometimes.
Gonna have to rip apart tank I’ve spent last year making and treating fish. Will be right during some really important exams aswell.
I’ll have to go for the eradication I guess, but will be tough :(
 
Before you do anything else, I'd give the fish a freshwater dip to check for flukes. This will do a couple of things. First it will confirm or eliminate flukes from the equation and it will also give the fish a bit of help riding the gills of either some of the flukes and some of the Ich parasites.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new